Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A heart-breaking loss to a division rival that b
12-07-2018, 10:55 AM
A heart-breaking loss to a division rival that b
lunts the momentum from a huge win the previous week makes handing out a game ball tough. The Cowboys had their opportunities against Washington but failed to take advantage. Still Youth Terrance Williams Jersey , we always need to look to the future, and one player seems to be showing signs that his future will be bright. It’s taken some time, and his volume stats are not there yet (more on that in a bit), but he’s starting to give the Cowboys a true deep-threat option. Michael Gallup could be evolving into a playmaker for the Cowboys.Last week against the Jaguars, Gallup had one catch for 27 yards, and just missed out on a second catch that would have been a touchdown if he could have gotten his second foot down instead of bouncing it on top of his other foot. The catch he did have in the Jacksonville game showed his ability to elevate and catch a ball in traffic. That was reminiscent of what Dez Bryant used to do for the team when he was in his prime. When Gallup has one-on-one coverage, Dak Prescott should think more about trusting Gallup to make the play even if there is coverage.Against Washington, Gallup had three catches for 81 yards, including a 49-yard touchdown where he absolutely cooked the defender on a stop-start move. The problem for Dallas is that Dak Prescott doesn’t seem to trust his throws to Gallup enough. Through seven games, Prescott has only targeted Gallup 22 times, about three times a game even though on 10 catches Gallup has averaged 19 yards per catch. Granted, there have been a couple of balls Gallup could have caught that he didn’t, but still, right now he appears to be the Cowboys one big-play threat in the passing game Youth Zack Martin Jersey , especially with Tavon Austin sidelined. Prescott did look Gallup’s way five times in the Washington game, so they are starting to build some trust. But Prescott could have avoided his one huge error in the Washington game, and made Gallup’s day monstrous if he would have just trusted his arm and Gallup’s ability.The play we’re talking about is Prescott’s fumble in the end zone when he was was sacked. The play turned into a Washington touchdown, but it could have just as easily been a Cowboys touchdown. During a chat session some of the BTB writers were having during the game, I wrote these words right after that play was complete: “you guys are gonna cry wehn you see Gallup’s route on that play, 6 points if Dak sees him.” (Yes, I know I misspelled “when” in the chat).Here’s the full play:And here is what Prescott was seeing as he gets to the back of his drop on the play.The blue lines represent Dak’s field of vision based on where his head is pointed, he has Gallup right in his sights (black circle) and he knows the pattern Gallup is running is a fake to the outside then going straight upfield. He should recognize that the cornerback is in a terrible position for this play. Prescott has to recognize he’s got what he wants here and get ready to fire. The other Washington defenders are not in place to help on the play. The up defender (yellow circle) will never be able to get back in time to help, in fact he never tries. The deep safety (red circle) is just too far over to effectively make a play on a well thrown ball to Gallup. Here’s what we see a second later.Prescott is still looking at that side of the field (blue lines). He has to see that the up defender (yellow circle) can’t make a play, and the deep safety (red circle) is still sitting in the middle of the field. In the black circle, Gallup has made his move and the corner is toast, he’s actually reaching out in a feeble attempt to grab Gallup and slow him down. If Prescott had fired this ball on time, Gallup likely takes it to the house. If somehow the safety makes a saving tackle on him, the Cowboys still convert the third down and are on their way to a score. Michael Gallup is starting to show his ability to be a playmaker for Dallas. The coaching staff needs to recognize that and try to scheme him into as many one-on-one situations as they can. And Dak Prescott needs to recognize it http://www.authenticsdallascowboys.com/c...ath-jersey , and trust himself and the receiver. If the Cowboys are looking for someone to stretch defenses vertically, they should start looking to Gallup more often. The post-Dez Bryant/Jason Witten era in Dallas got off to a rocky start on Sunday.The Cowboys were clearly missing a go-to wide receiver on the outside, a presence at tight end and leadership on the offensive line without 2016 All-Pro center Travis Frederick, who is battling Guillain Barre syndrome. The result was a lackluster performance and a 16-8 loss to the Carolina Panthers in the season opener.Quarterback Dak Prescott took the blame, saying he was "off" his game — although he remained upbeat, insisting that things will improve."I have to figure out why I was off," said Prescott, who was limited to 170 yards passing and no touchdowns. "Was I rushing it? Did I feel pressure? What were the things that were causing it? Was it just me missing the pass?"But it's hard to pin the 232-yard offensive output on the third-year quarterback.It didn't help that he was under constant pressure from a swarming Panthers defense led by Luke Kuechly and Kawann Short. Prescott was sacked six times, the most costly coming on Dallas' final drive when Mario Addison stripped him of the football and Captain Munnerlyn recovered to seal Carolina's win.But the Cowboys never really looked in sync outside of one fourth-quarter touchdown drive that came when they were down 16.And they have more questions than answers heading into a Week 2 matchup with the New York Giants on offense.Starting wide receivers Terrance Williams and Deonte Thompson were limited to a combined four catches for 33 yards. Free agent pickup Allen Hurns, who the Cowboys are hoping has a chance to emerge as their No. 1 receiver, had one catch for 20 yards.Greg Swaim was limited to three catches for 18 yards, and no other Cowboys tight end caught a pass.Prescott was clearly most comfortable throwing to one of the team's few holdovers from last season — slot receiver Cole Beasley, who was targeted a team-high eight times and had seven catches for 73 yards.Overall, the offense seemed to lack creativity with the Cowboys settling routinely for screen passes that were often sniffed out by Kuechly http://www.authenticsdallascowboys.com/c...own-jersey , who finished with 13 tackles.Prescott said the Cowboys' problems stemmed mostly from self-inflicted penalties.An illegal block above the waist by left tackle Tryon Smith put Dallas in a second-and-21 on the first drive. Smith had a holding penalty on the second drive leading to a second-and-17. La'el Collins was flagged twice for holding in second half.Dallas finished 2 of 11 on third-down conversions."Early on, we didn't have a great rhythm," coach Jason Garrett said. "We were behind the chains a lot. I thought it got better as the game wore on. We spread them out a little bit. We got some creases in the running game. Guys kept fighting. We made some positive plays on top of positive plays that allowed us to move the ball, certainly on the scoring drive and it's not good enough. We have to play better."Ezekiel Elliott had 69 yards rushing on 16 carries and a touchdown but was largely ineffective before the fourth quarter."We have to run it better," Garrett said. "We have to throw it better. Every part of it has to improve. I thought our guys battled and I thought it got better as the game wore on."The Cowboys featured a steady rotation of receivers, which Prescott said he liked."It keeps guys fresh," Prescott said. "It gives us the advantage on defensive backs. I'm great with the rotation as long as those guys are continuing to do their jobs."Still, Prescott seemed determined things will get better saying the Cowboys have the right type of guys in the locker room.For now, the big question is what it was before the season began: Who is going to step up in the passing game to replace Bryant and Witten?One game in, the Cowboys are no closer to finding out.