Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Green Bay Packers Elite Jerseys
04-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Green Bay Packers Elite Jerseys
HOUSTON (AP) — Carlos Correa is in pain.Every swing and miss hurts http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-max-kepler-jersey , and on the bad days it can even be uncomfortable for the Houston Astros star shortstop to walk.Correa often puts on a brave face but told The Associated Press how much this is affecting him as the Astros prepare to leave for Boston and the best-of-seven AL Championship Series that begins on Saturday.“You’re a competitor so every time you step on the field you play it off like everything is fine,” he said Wednesday. “But obviously you’re hurting.”Correa returned from a six-week stint on the disabled list on Aug. 10 and declared that he was better. But he has struggled to regain his top form. He hit just .180 in the second half of the season and managed a single hit — a home run — in an ALDS, looking nothing like the player who made the All-Star team last season and was the 2015 rookie of the year.He said it bothers him most at the plate, and it’s been impossible to get back to how he felt before the injury.“Not only to find my swing, just to feel comfortable at the plate when I swing,” he said. “Because I know every time I swing and miss it’s going to hurt. So, I try not to swing and miss and then I try to baby my swing and I don’t swing as hard as I usually do or as quick as I usually do. So, it’s definitely been tough.”Correa said there’s been a domino effect of pain in other areas, most notably in his obliques, as he tries to avoid doing things that make his back hurt.He’s receiving treatment “24/7,” but the pain remains. He’s using a foam roller at home and been sporadically taking anti-inflammatories.“It’s just a pain down in my lower back that doesn’t let me move right,” he said. “When I bend over Kennys Vargas Jersey , when I rotate. Sometimes when I wake up and I walk in the morning, I know it’s not going to be a good day.”He’s accepted that the aching likely will be with him until he gets an extended rest. He’s trying not to let it weigh on him, but in private moments at home with his fiancee Daniella Rodriguez, he laments that he simply hasn’t been himself this season.“When I go to sleep at night, I think about especially this year (how) I’m not performing the way I know I can perform, it’s just been tough,” he said. “Sometimes I talk to Daniella and I’m like: ‘There’s nothing I can do about it. I’m hurting.’ But I’m a competitor so you grind, you try to perform. But it’s definitely … been frustrating at times.”Despite his woes, Correa started all three games of the ALDS and continues to play stellar defense, something he takes pride in as he struggles at the plate. And though he was just 1 for 10 against the Indians, his one hit was a big one — a three-run homer in the clinching game — providing hope that maybe things are getting better.“I feel like I had really good at-bats in the series vs. Cleveland, just not getting lucky with the balls I hit hard http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-max-kepler-jersey ,” he said. “But that one fell, and it gives me a lot of confidence going into this series.”Manager AJ Hinch was asked if he’s concerned about Correa.“Not now,” he said. “We (have) four days off. We get to press the reset button. You don’t just get to press pause either way. We had some guys get six and seven hits in that series, but you have to start over again, new opponent. So, no it doesn’t concern me.”Correa is focused on keeping a positive attitude as he fights through this and is determined to do all he can to help the Astros repeat as champions.“It’s been a tough year. But it’s not the end of the world,” he said. “I keep grinding every single day. I keep trying to find ways to help my team. I thought my defense this year was excellent and I’m looking forward to winning another championship and getting some rest.”“And come back next year strong and be the player that I am,” he continued. Tim Warner/Getty ImagesHouston Astros superstar pitcher Justin Verlander may be 35 years old, but he isn't contemplating retirement yet."Just keep swimming," he told reporters Thursday, per ESPN.com. "That's me. Just keep pitching. Just head down, prepare myself and just keep pitching. And at the end of my career Rod Carew Jersey , hopefully when I look up and all is said and done, that's cemented my legacy."He continued:"I think the goal is to be healthy and to be strong as long as I can. I think as long as I pay attention to my body and I take care of things that typically would creep in and start to cause issues as you get older, I think you can address those early on."And I think treating that stuff before it becomes an issue is what makes itnotbecome an issue, as easy as that sounds. But there's no set number for me. I think I just want to pitch as long as I can."Verlander hasn't shown many signs of slowing. After joining the Astros in August 2017, he went 5-0 in five regular-season starts, posting a 1.06 ERA and 0.65 WHIP. His hot streak extended into the postseason, when he went 4-1 with a 2.21 ERA, 0.82 WHIP and 38 strikeouts in 36.2 innings over six total appearances (five starts), playing a key role in Houston's World Series title.He's once again been electric for the Astros, going 16-9 in the regular season with a 2.52 ERA, 0.90 WHIP and 290 strikeouts in 214 innings. He's also won his only postseason appearance this October.Those are the sort of numbers most pitchers could only dream of compiling in their primes, let alone in the later years of their career. But Verlander talks as though he's firmly in his prime."I've had a great learning experience the last five years or so Brian Dozier Jersey ," he said. "And I think that's going to be what prepares me for the second half of my career."I said second half, by the way."That's good news for the Astros, who have him signed through the 2019 season. In Verlander, Dallas Keuchel, Carlos Correa, Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman and George Springer, among others, the Astros have an excellent core that should be competitive in the American League for years.