Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Open] Time to Work
10-02-2013, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 09:17 AM by zbug84.)
[Open] Time to Work
Date: 10/2
Time of Day / Weather: Morning / Clear Skies

Zakk walked up the steps of the saloon and pushed open what was left of the double doors. It was a little early for him to be up, but there was a lot of work to be done...and not enough time to do it in if he wanted to make a good impression on this group's boss. Coveralls zipped up and ready to go, Zakk buckled his tool belt and lifted a bundle of 2x4s on his shoulder. His auto quad Betty did most of the heavy moving for him, so luckily he wouldn't have to move much around during this job.

Looking over the saloon...well what was left of it, Zakkery spotted a good corner to start in, walked over to it slowly, and set the lumber down on the floor. Looking over parts of the walls, Zakk took out his tablet, dictating notes of areas that need extra attention. "Frame damage in south west corner, note to self; check studs in the entire building and check for cracks in load bearing beams." Placing his tablet on a nearby table, Zakk started his work, prying loose bombed out beams and loading them into a pile to be mulched down and re-purposed. Zakk smiled to himself, whistling a song his sister used to sing back on the ship before they made landfall on Nexus. Pausing a moment to think about his sister, Zakk looked at his tablet and got back to work, daylight was about to hit soon, and Zakk wanted to have made some progress before most of the group came in.

[Image: BSM-Test_zpsf11a4753.png]
A member of the BlackSky Community
10-04-2013, 03:10 PM
RE: [Open] Time to Work
The work had begun. That was what he had assumed as he looked out from his bike while parking that day. The damage done to the building since the Church Raid had become a person point of contention for Cathal. The abilityt o repair the building would take a long time or at least some decent amount of time. Why was he even watching the new prospect do his work? The work Zakk was doing was interesting at least. The movement of the man and his strength kept Cathal's attention as the boss was evaluating the prospect. Each moment was carefully cataloged as Cathal wondered how much he would invest.

It was progressive and good work. From what he could tell at the moment and what he had decided the man was going to get the job done at a good pace. However, the actual results were to be seen. Cathal walked over to a communication post that was set near the road and attached a small gadget to it. A time lapse camera recorder. That would help them keep track of the results over time. The machine activated and Reggie who had been moved to Cathal's cabin activated it and began recording. Cathal then took his time and lounged on his bike for a bit to let the kid get his work done.
10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Zakk pulled his dreadlocks into a tight ponytail and wiped some sweat off of his face before heading back to Betty to get some more gear. Hearing the telltale sound of hover a bike pulling up, Zakk grabbed grabbed his mag pistols and placed them in the back of his tool belt, "Better safe than sorry," He thought as he walked outside. Much to his relief, Zakk didn't see a death squad of Sovereign mercs, just Cathal the owner of the saloon leaning on his bike. Relaxing a bit, Zakk trotted over to the boss and gave a wave.

"Morning!", Zakk smiled, "I've got one of the corners just about done...just getting some sheet metal to go behind the dry wall i'm gonna put up later. That should keep most standard ammo from tearing up the place again." Zakk tapped away on his tablet as he talked, the mechanical arms on Betty loading large panels of sheet metal onto a dolly next to the saloon doors. Looking back at the dolly, Zakk placed the tablet back into his pocket, each slab hit the dolly with a heavy thud, it was sturdy and was going to take some work to get installed. Looking back at Cathal, Zakk pointed at the slabs, "I'm gonna replace the old doors with a thinner version of those, so if you want it engraved send me the designs and I can have Betty do it up."

10-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Jane flipped the goggles down over her eyes and adjusted the monocular. The scene across the valley zoomed into sharp focus, a silent exchange between one man on a bike and one working a lifter. She sucked air through her front teeth as she watched. It was going on two weeks since she had parted ways with her last temporary job. Someone’s best friend’s brother’s third cousin’s mechanic’s washroom attendance had said there might be work at the place over the next rise. Jane crossed one leg over the other at the ankle and continued her inspection.

To hear the tale, the scene below was some kind of saloon. A watering hole for a local band of bikers who had decided to put down a few roots. She pushed the goggles up into the nest of red hair above her brow. Wonder if they’ll give a job to an outsider. The pouch holding her smokes to her belt snapped open and she selected one of the brown hand-rolleds to pinch between her teeth. Blue smoke drifted between her and the saloon making the image shimmer like a mirage, the next oasis on her trek across Nexus.

Jane dropped her bike into a lower gear as she rolled up next to another hover. She cut her eyes to the left to watch the man lounging lazily on his bike, near the same position as when she'd spied him from the ridge. “I hear they got work here. You know anything about it?” She jutted her chin towards the saloon to indicate the topic of conversation, and joined him in staring at the slow paced construction.
10-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Did the man just mention putting metal plating into the walls? As in bullet proofing them? The captain took a minute to think about that very idea and gave the newbie a nod. His countenance was slightly shaded by his typical five o'clock shadow over his chin. Usually by now he would have shaved, but the past few days had been a bit harsh to say the least. Along with looking for some investors there was a lot on the captain's mind at this point.

Before saying a thing however he tipped his hat to the not so bad looking thing talking to him, "One sec lass."

"Nice addition boyo, would ye like some high grade platin? I canna get it at a good price from a friend o' mine." The man added with a slight bit of interest. He took a few steps from his current location and then flick his gun quickly from his right holster. Pulling it he took a breath and disappeared into a portal to land a few feet away in a tree overlooking the build (one that had survived the carnage).

"Hmm." He said aloud as the tree was only about thirty feet from where he had been standing.

"Looking stable from above sa far, what kind o' help or equipment ye gonna need?" he asked looking back toward Zakk with a bit of interest in his smile.

He then dropped back down and landed with a thud as he stood up. Cathal then cracked his neck as he walked back toward his bike and answered the lady finally, "Tis me pub an' cathouse lass. Was torn up by some feckin Dommies from the BrightStar sovereigns a bit ago. Zakky boy here is rebuildin fer me."
10-10-2013, 08:22 AM
"Nice addition boyo, would ye like some high grade platin? I canna get it at a good price from a friend o' mine."

Zakk scratched his head, "Hmm don't know why I didn't think of that...Yeah high grade plating would work a lot better, and I could just put the sheet metal under the floors." Pulling out his tablet again, Zakk tapped in the changes that would be required to fit in the plating in between the walls. "The plating would be thicker, but fitting it in shouldn't be a problem." Still looking down at the tablet and talking, Zakk heard the pop of a portal opening in front of him. Looking back up Cathal was gone, his voice coming in loud and clear from behind him, "Looking stable from above sa far, what kind o' help or equipment ye gonna need?"

Zakk looked up toward the tree the boss was in going over lists in his head, "The plating should be it, i'm going to get some more lumber from over the hill in a couple hours, hopefully I can knock out another corner of the saloon before the day is done." Going back to his tablet, Zakk saw Cathal hop of of the tree and walk in the direction of a red headed lady whose bike was sitting next to his. Shooting both of them a nod, he returned to Betty to make some adjustments for the lumber he was about to go get later.

10-10-2013, 09:47 PM
“Building an oven, are ya?” Jane moved to stand next to her bike, leaning back against the seat. “I think yer clientele might be getting’ hot enough in there without all that metal trappin’.” Jane took a moment to give the gentleman an appraising look over. “Ya might be better off with some grapheme-crosslinked copolymer nanocomposite. Lightweight so it won’t stress the frame o’ yer cathouse. Stops just ‘bout anythin’ ya try to shove through it.” She leaned forward, “That way only heat getting’ cooked up is between the sheets.” She gave the man a sly wink before leaning back to slouch against the bike. “I could prolly getcha some…” She licked her tongue over her front teeth, “…if I was workin’ here, that is.”
10-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Metal sheeting in the floor? That idea spun around in his head as Cathal gave a smile to the positive reaction to his suggestion. At that point his eyes were roaming about the build site to take in more and more of it. He then glanced up at the hill and the lumber available to get a sense of quality. The trees of Nexus that he had seen in his short time on the planet were hard and thick in some circumstances. In others they were spindly little things that had looked like they should be in the sickly aboreteums he had seen on a few of the larger ships in the fleet. However, the ones that Zakk had indicated were of decent quality.

"Aye, the thicker walls shoulda give any o' those bloody raiders that come next time what for eh?" he said in his usual drawl. He then gave a nod as the man noted his progress. "Two corners in a day all by yerself ain't bad, we could always hire a few hands if ye need some help." The man offered.

The girl then suggested another idea, "Now that's not a bad idea eh. Sure if ye canna get me some we canna use that." He replied with a smile as he returned to reclining on his bike.
10-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Jane's hand scrounged around in her pocket and fished out a small digital comm device. Her gaze dropped the screen and she typed in a few commands. "Be here in a day or so." The device disappeared back into her pocket. "So, ya hirin' any extra hands to help yer boy there? I got some time open in my schedule for a few days." She folder her arms across her chest, the leather of her coat creaking with the motion. "I can swing a hammer same as most, got some of my own equipment, too."

She let the idea linger in the silence that grew as they both watched the man working his way across some paneling installation. "How long you been here? Don't recall seein' anyone out this way last time I passed through."
10-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Zakk nodded to Cathal, walking back from Betty after he sent it off to retrieve more lumber, "Yeah any extra help would be welcome, the more hands, the better." Nodding at the redhead, Zakk's raised one of his eyebrows slightly. "Nanocomposite...that would work out well, but I would still go with the full plating, the composite would be great for filling out seams between the walls."

Turning his tablet towards the both of them, Zakk pointed to several areas on the roof. "I'm gonna bump up the output of the a/c when i'm done...can't get paid if everyone is passed out from heat stroke." Holding his tablet in one hand, he stuck his other one toward the red head, "The name is Zakk, pleased to meet ya!"