Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Open] Time to Work
10-17-2013, 02:47 AM
RE: [Open] Time to Work
“I might be willing to stay on awhile.” She tilted her head towards Zakk, “You gotta good foreman that would be easy to work for.” Jane paused to check progress on the A/C unit. She gave the projected image an approving nod and tucked the box into her coat pocket. “Tell you what. I’ll help out ‘round here as much as you need. But, I don’t go borrowing trouble. You’ll understand if I keep out of your feud unless situations require me to take action.”

She strolled up to her hoverbike and swung one leg over. “The rats’ll be working awhile more. I need to pick up some raw materials for the expansion on the A/C compressor. Them copolymer nanocomposites should be delivered to the drop point soon. You boys need anything while I’m out?” The starter sparked at her touch and the blue glow of the energy rods brightened, and the conversion of power for the engine gave off a steady hum. She pulled her goggles down over her eyes. “I got my comm synced up. You lemme know if you think of anything.” The breather came up to hide the rest of her face. She gave a nod before easing the bike away and putting a safe distance between them before revving into high gear and taking off.
10-20-2013, 03:26 AM
Zakk watched as Jane sped off on her hoverbike, admiring the handy work, he made a mental note to ask her for tips when he started putting his own bike together. Swiping away on his tablet, four more drilling drones lifted off from Betty, heading towards the drone launched before. "Those drones should have the tunnel dug out in no time...I can get started on the external garage after the saloon is all done." Looking back at Cathal, Zakk pulled his dreadlocks back into a ponytail, "That Jane seems like a good worker, with her on the crew, the saloon will get back up to snuff." Nodding at Cathal, Zakk pulled his coveralls back over his shoulders and headed back into the saloon, there was lots of work to be done, and t was time to get back to it.

The inside of the saloon was coming along nicely, repair drones from Betty were buzzing around, scanning the interior of the building and sending reports back to his tablet back on the bar. Wiping some sweat off his forehead with a rag, Zakk pushed a button in on his ear piece. "Progress update, interior plating installed, waiting for nanocomposite to seal up the seams." Looking around, Zakk noted some areas that needed more attention, the saloon was good to go as far as serving customers was concerned, as soon as Jane came back he would get her to check out the internal electrical systems. Walking towards the bar, Zakk sat in one of the stools, reached over, and poured himself a drink. Taking a long sip, Zakk leaned back on the bar a let out a long sigh. Looking over the saloon he smiled to himself, "Good day of work...good day."

[Image: BSM-Test_zpsf11a4753.png]
A member of the BlackSky Community
10-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Her response about the feud was truthful, and he was curious what the two of them were going to make of the project. At this point Cathal was starting to pull himself into the background. He glanced over at the small little bots assisting int eh build. Their work on the A/C was kind of over his head still. The girl was already on her way out it seemed as she pulled her breather on up. Cathal decided that once the place was done he was going to see if the woman wanted something a bit more than working on building. He lit another cig and took in a long drag as he undid the top of his flask and took a swig.

"Aye if ye wanna hire her ye can. Just get her papers sa the judges dun breath down me neck." He replied. Cathal took a step on his way toward his bike and came to sit down upon it again. "I'll be back in a few hours eh."

Cathal leaned on his bike and turned it on as it rumbled to life. He checked everything and then sped off as he made his way to meet up with a few contacts about getting the necessary materials for Zakk.
10-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Jane tapped the display screen on the bike’s panel and set a course for the nearest relay settlement, not that she needed it. In the eleven months, twenty-two days and fifteen hours since she had arrived in this part of Nexus, she’d visited the way station more than a dozen times. But who’s counting? The amount of wayfarers on the road into town thickened as she got closer. Within sight of the main gates, pedestrian traffic started to mix with the mechanical types. Jane kept her goggles down and her breather up at the checkpoint. She flashed her credentials to the guard without coming to a total stop. As usually, the red of her hair was enough to get waved on through as if the color was something unique. At least they never bothered to check the other physical descriptors, none of which belonged to Jane.

She idled in place as bikes, buggies, drones and rovers passed in front. At the first opening in the flow, she pulled into the empty spot and followed the stream around the edge of town. Her bike peeled away from the crowd well after the rows of trade huts, repair stalls and the semi-official delivery depot. She coasted up to a shack tucked in between a few broken stone pillars. A petite, white-haired figure flew out the door and flashed over to Jane. “Doc!” Dust kicked up as the girl slid to a halt beside the hoverbike. Jane slid around and planted her boots on the ground, goggles going up into the red nest and breather dropping to hang loose around her neck. “Hey, kiddo. This ain’t a social call, I’m afraid. Is your Ma here?” The sprite darted away back into the house.

“Jane, I got that nanocomposite you ordered. It’s ‘round back.” Maggie waved Jane to follow. “Some other stuff come for ya, too. Jaque picked it up at the cargo drop.” She pulled back a tarp to reveal the small boxes stacked neatly together. When Jane reached for the boxes, Maggie stayed her hand. “There’s been talk, Jane.” Both women watched each other a long moment before Maggie broke the silence, “They know yer in these parts. It’s just a matter o’ t..” Jane pulled free and grabbed the boxes, tucking one under each arm. She spun on her heels and marched back to her bike. “I won’t bring trouble for you, Maggie. Don’t worry. You tell Jaque thank you for me.” Maggie was still talking as Jane pulled goggles and breather back into place and cruised away from the small shack.

She flashed the borrowed credentials one more time to gain exit from the town. Two miles out, she tossed them to the side of the road. As the saloon and settlement came into view on the horizon, she checked the display for any sign of being followed. Instead of riding up to the saloon, she steered right and headed into the tree line to wait. Another hour passed before she was sure she hadn’t picked up company, and decided it was safe to get back to work.

A small cloud of dust followed Jane and settled around her boots as she parked the bike and walked around to remove the two crates from the storage compartment. She dropped them on the edge of the work site and poked her head around the side of the building to check on the r.a.t.s and their progress. One of the droids clattered against the box and she sprung the latch to give it access to the metals and alloys needed for the expansion. Jane left the bots to do their work and walked up to the front door of the saloon. She pulled the breather down and yelled, “Anybody home?”
10-22-2013, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2013 02:47 AM by zbug84.)
Zakk was sitting at the bar, one hand on his tablet, the other holding a decent sized sandwich that he had rummaged together from the kitchen. Taking a huge bite, reviewed the tunnel drones progress, moving sliders around to accelerate the speed of the hardened drills. Taking a sip of his drink, Zakk's tablet lit up, letting him know a vid call was coming in. "Ugh..." Zakk thought to himself, only a few people had his tablet's freq, and usually he didn't want to talk to any of them. Putting down his sandwich and making himself look as presentable as possible, Zakk tapped the accept call prompt and braced to see who was going to pop up on the other end. A blue image lifted up from the tablet screen, fuzzy at first, the features started to come in clearer after a few seconds. "Goddam....Hey Clara! Nice to see you again!"

"Hello darling, you're looking dirty as usual." Clara spoke with the prim and proper tone of an typical Cassian, uniform and hair well kept and proper as usual. "So what are you up to now hmm? Building a shack in some backwoods swamp land...or maybe a group of Skeech ran off with your tools again." Sighing loudly, Zakk looked around the saloon, "It's none of your business where I am and what i'm doing, I thought I told you never to call me after what you pulled." “Anybody home?" Zakk looked back towards the saloon door, Jane had come back earlier than he expect and this was not a vid call anyone needed to know about. Waving her in he looked back to his tablet, "Look if you want to talk, we can do that later...but now is not a good time." With an almost upset look on her face, the Cassian frowned and stuck out her tongue, "Well fine, be that way, but don't think you can avoid me forever...lover."

God he hated when she called him that. Tapping the screen to end the call, Zakk turned to see if Jane came into the saloon, "Jane I didn't expect you back so soon, did you find everything you needed?" Standing back up, Zakk walked back to pick up his tool belt, "If you get a chance, check out the power grid in the kitchen for me would ya?"

10-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Cathal lived in a small house that appeared to be a cross between a rancher's homestead house and a small bungalow. It was a single story house with a large wrap around porch which was covered by the over hanging roof (slated with metal shingles). He had driven along a long narrow winding dirt road from the primary roadway to even get there. The location itself could be best described as a frontier homstead or to some "out in the middle of bum fuck no where". That notion alone usually gave Cathal some respite as he had come to dislike the din and thronging sounds of large cities; or the cramped quarters of ships. So after taking his honorable discharge after serving in the Exile Fleet military for so long a small quaint cabin was all he could ask for.

That would have to change though. The recent situation with the Sovereigns had Cathal rethinking his faraway living space. The fact alone that his people had to deal with a hostage exchange was just startling to the Captain. In the past he had ran exchanges before and even under the point of a fairly large twenty foot plasma cannon. Innocents got hurt, and heroes got other people killed, that was a fact of life for Mister Reily.

After pulling in his bike he stepped off the monster and walked toward his granok sized door. It took Cathal usually about two minutes to undo all the locks and then use the retinal scanner. He was a security nut after what had happened at the Saloon. The truth was he was dwelling on the situation far longer than he should. That image of Taru being held and then the artifact was driving him silently insane. Such an asinine thing really. How could he be so pretentious to let the previous issue stay with him for this long. Samuel and his mother, that was who he was going to blame.

"Fuck em," he said as he walked into the house and grabbed a list of contacts off a tablet humming on a nearby coffee table. Cathal quickly refreshed his supply of cigarettes from a pack in his bedroom before turning around to head back toward his bike. The moment was over and he had his contacts.

"Reggie contact Ronan, and let him know I need an order of toys," he said as he sped back toward the main site for the Saloon.
10-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Jane stepped through the front door of the saloon to find Zakk occupied with a vid call. As the female voice came to an abrupt end, Jane cocked one eyebrow up and smirked. "Yeah, I didn't have time for socializing much at the depot." She raked her bottom lip with her top teeth, "Am I interruptin'?" Her body leaned on the door frame a moment more, waiting to make sure she wouldn't need to step back outside. When Zakk rose from his seat, she proceeded into the saloon, her dusty leather coat swirling with each stride.

"Got everything I needed to fix the A/C and then some. The rats will be done soon enough." She let her forward momentum propel her towards the kitchen. "You havin' problems back here, or just want to check the energy output?" The door separating the main hall from the mess stayed open when she passed through it. The lights flicked on with a low hum. The energy pulse of the room was smooth and steady. Her eyes scanned and she made a surprised but impressed "hmmm." The room was immaculate, which was a feat in itself considering the destruction and reconstruction taking place all around. "Who's the cook?"
10-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Zakk looked at Jane with a slight smile, "Don't mind the vid, just an old business partner. Carnatia ran the kitchen and bar, cute little Aurin, I haven't seen her since I first got set up here." Jane was in the kitchen looking over the place, Zakk didn't know the Carnatia well, but she had an eye for cleanliness, even with al the dust from the repairs the kitchen was nearly spotless. Poking his head in the kitchen, Zakk nodded towards the walk in fridge, "I just wanted you to check out the levels in here, probably should of asked you to do that before I ate that big ass sandwich but oh well...don't want anyone getting sick."

Walking back into the Saloon, Zakk turned his attention to his tablet, an alert sounded letting him know that Betty's drones had finished digging the tunnel. Moving a few sliders on his tablet, Zakk had them go back to Betty to be refitted to begin repairs on the roof. Yelling toward the kitchen, Zakk put his tablet back on the bar, "My drones are done with the tunnels, as soon as the boss brings his goodies back, we can finish this place up!"

10-27-2013, 06:29 PM
He had arrived long after construction had picked up again it seemed. Already the structure was taking shape and as he walked in toward the the front room and admired the work in progress. Cathal found a chair and sat down as he activated a collapsible tablet he usually carried on his person. Slowly he began to methodically check all his resources and also checked all his incoming orders. After working for a bit he walked around and began to look around a bit more before heading into the kitchen. That was when he walked halfway into seemed into a fully on conversation between Zakk and Jane.

"Zakk I've special ordered some plating for the secondary bunker we discussed plus some droids to set up a medbay underneath the general Saloon."

His response came as he lit a cigarette and looked over at Jane. The two of them seemed to be working quite well together.

"Aight I think I canna get some nice bike storage also created so we can prep a getaway if necessary."
10-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Jane's eyes went wide, "Hold up, medbay?" She caught herself and coughed over the excitement that had edged into her voice. "I mean, a med bay ain't a bad idea." She walked a few paces through the kitchen and ran her gloved hand over one pristine counter tops. "So, you gotta medic on board?" she asked in a rather nonchalant way, keeping herself turned almost away from Canthal and watching him only from the corner of her eye. "Might be worth the trouble. You never know when a ruckus might break out at the bar, or some of them rivals try to come back around."

In one smooth motion, she stepped away from the kitchen counter, flared her coat, removed the box of rats from her pocket and knelt down to release the droids. "They'll find any electrical problems, but I didn't read any on my way in." Jane cast her green gaze back at Cathal, "I'll take a look at any plans ya got for that med bay as soon as I'm done here."