Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fanshen (Fannie) Deepwater - Scriptorium
12-07-2013, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2013 01:28 AM by scriptorium.)
RE: Fanshen (Fannie) Deepwater - Scriptorium
Thoughts on the History of the Blacksky:

Hum. Well one thing that stands out is the notion of a family feud seeming so "initimate" after 300 years or more (Cassian civil war to now). Three centuries is a long long time, so long that as human beings we have a hard time understanding its scale. That the two groups have this continued animosity makes perfect sense. However would the rank and file member would have much understanding about its original causes... that the original cause would be known? It's dubious. That's a long time to play the 'telephone' game. I think the demonization of the other side would be pretty much complete at this point. It would be "we hate them because we do." When a conflict goes on for that long, the conflict itself becomes the defining element of the community.

Being that what you're looking at here is a split of a noble house into two noble houses, I find myself wondering on how the Exiles en masse would perceive the Malverines and Blacksky. I get the feeling that exile politics could be contentious at best. Four disparate cultures with no other central binding force than their opposition to the Dominion. Seems like there would be a lot of intro-factionalism there that the Blacksky would have to deal with. The Sovereigns wouldn't be the Malverines only enemies, I think. I wonder what factions might be opposing them within the exiles themselves. What might these anarchists think of aristocrats playing rebel in their midst? Would there be some lingering prejudice there? Some resentment of "blue bloods?" Lots of questions.

There's also a couple of filling in the blanks areas that the story leaves me asking about in my head. What exactly is the current standing of the Talyn family with the Emporer, for example? With the Reilys working for the exiles, and the Talyn family's titles falling into other hands, the question of who those other hands belong to come to mind? Are they, perhaps, one of "The Clients?" Or perhaps the Sovereigns have their own intra-dominion rivals? The Talyn family I think would be just and angry at these usurpers as they would their blood feud rivals. Filling in the blanks about them would be a good next step.

These are the current intimate details that the history prompts me to be curious about, because these are what I need to tie a character concept in with. The long view of history is all well and good, but I'd be curious to see a little bit more detail on the "now."

Thoughts on the Sovereigns Lore:

So, here's where right now I'm having some difficulty understanding Sovereigns thinking. What we have in the case of the Talyn's is a fallen noble house. With it's holdings passed on to another, unlanded, what continues to make the Talyn's pertinent to dominion politics. That they would hate the Malverines and the Reily's is all well and good and understandable. I assume they're trying to reclaim their position, or reverse this fall. Where are then in the progress to that end? What exactly is their standing? Who are their allies? Do they have allies? Enemies? Or are their relations a blend of the two? Again, the history as presented is good on the long view, but short on detail when it comes to the now. I'm very curious to have a more detailed picture of the political landscape of the Dominion as you envision it.
12-07-2013, 07:01 AM
The current standing and extensive history of the Talyn is something I would love to fill out eventually. I can say that the Talyn have reclaimed some of their status as they are still a High Born family. They spent a lot of their time after the death of Elric Talyn in building the BSIA by using contacts all over the Galaxy. Once some info comes to light on the Luminai I'll even have which Great House they serve which will give you an idea on the relatinship with current Emperor Myrcalus.

Note on how the Exiles feel toward the Reilys is also something I would like to eventually touch upon in the future perhaps in a lore update, or in an article detailing their current status. A lot information on the two families can be fond on the main site under "Expanded Lore" where it has a bit more detail on current family branches and how big both are.

Questions
1. As a member what do you desire from a good guild leader? Give us some examples and let us know what a leader should bring to the table? What about officers?

2. Now what about members in return? What should they do to make the guild a better place?
12-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Thoughts on Guild Leadership:

Having done the job of Guild Leader before with only moderate success at best, I'm not sure that I am the one to make comment here. However, with that caveat, the way I see it is that a Guild Leader needs to set the tone, both IC'ly and OOC'ly for the guild. They need to listen, yes, but they need to have their own strong sense of where the guild is going and what they want to accomplish with it. Early guild identity is going to pretty much be defined by how the Guild Leader carries themselves and the guild concept. They need energy, patience (a whole lot of this), charisma, tact, organizational skill and drive (not the same thing), creativity, did I mention patience, a thick skin, optimism, endurance and patience... again... a lot of f&%$ing patience.

When choosing their officers, Guild Leaders need to not choose their friends, at least not exclusively. We tend to be a bit blind about the capabilities and the capacities of our friends, and online friends even more so. Like the guild leader themselves, Officers set the tone of the guild as well. They need all the guild leaders qualities (more patience) in addition to being good followers as well as leaders. They need to feel like they can question guild leaders decisions, but back the guild leader's call when the call is made. They have to agree to the vision of the guild leader and act in support of it. They have to not be exceptions to the guild rules, but exemplars of them.

Most importantly, your core leadership group has to be excited about the guild concept and about job of building a new community. All officers should be acting as ambassadors to the RP community. They all need to be out there, extrovert online, advocating for their guild by being friendly, open and excited about what you're all doing together. Guild leadership is a hard row to hoe, people have mental inertia and they like to coast. Guild leaders and officers can afford that. Like it or not, they're going to be the driving force behind the guild project. Startup time is critical, you need a pep squad of go getters, so that a few aren't doing the heavy lifting.

Thoughts on the Membership:

To quote the King of the Geeks, Will Wheaton, rule #1: "Don't be a dick." Members need to put their ego baggage and their bad assumptions to the side. We're all here to have fun and play a game. RP is not seriz bizniz. It's about having a good time... everyone having a good time. I've heard a lot of talk about folks not being able to keep their OOC separate from the IC and seen a lot of folks pat themselves on the back because they obviously are enlightened and can handle their RP. That, IMO, is destructive bullshit, plain and simple.

RP is a social game. You play it with other human beings, who play with you because they want to. If other players are upset about something, whether they fit your ideals, right or wrong, the game stops and you deal with it. We're all trying to be friends here but we all are strangers to start with. Players may or may not know what their limits are and may in fact only find out when they go past them. So communication needs to remain open in membership and it needs to be non-judgmental. There is no "right" way to do this pastime, there's only what we're used to and what we're not. What's right for "us" so to speak.

Next thing members need is energy. Lots and lots of energy. You get out of your RP what you put into your RP. If you want to be a bump on a log, don't expect everyone to go out of their way to involve you. You need to chip in. You're part of the story if you make yourself part of the story. MMO RP is generally on a larger scale than tabletop. The plot master is not going to be able to spoon feed you. You need to step up and make yourself part of the narrative when the opportunity arises.

Conversely, if you see folks being a bump on the log, engage them. RP is about interaction. If you have a new person in guild or a wall flower, membership should make an effort to engage them and get them into the group. It's not the officers' sole job to make folks happy and recruit. Recruitment doesn't end with the 'ginvite'. Membership is the most fundamental force that can keep members in and keep the guild growing. While leaders set the tone for the guild, membership IS THE GUILD. So reach out, engage, do something because your activity is what will in the end make or break the guild.
12-09-2013, 08:59 AM
1. The Sovereigns are influenced and based upon the Pinkerton Dective Agency, or Private Military Contractors. They are dutiful to the Empire, but work for the highest bidder. What are your thoughts on this and how your character fits or connects with this organization?

2. Do you see yourself as a fighter or a support character for the Agency? Or maybe a bit of both? Would you join an Agency expedition, raid, or simply work to help it increase its funds?

3.Which Agency businesses were you thinking of working for? Or are you thinking of adding your own business to the Agency as a means to provide in part for the Agency?
12-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Thoughts on the fit of Fannie:

Going to muddle these together, because they seem to all be related. As I see Fannie, she has a few distinct skill sets. Infiltration is the first, but that's multifaceted. There's the up front, sneaking your way in where you don't belong skills: security, hacking, nano-suit operation, etc. Then there's to plain sight infiltration skills: conning, persuasion and intimidation, seduction, working the various angles. There's also the athletic aspect of the breaking and entering: the ropes work, the tumbling, free running, etc.

In addition to the infiltration work, there's the wet work. Fannie's an up close and personal sort of gal (stalker). She likes to put her own touch on a hit, not pop folks through a scope at range. However, she's practical. If a few shaped charges with do the job, far be from her to complicate things for aesthetics. A paycheck is a paycheck, after all.

As far as her role goes in the Sovereigns, it depends on how you want to spin her story. She could be on loan from a client, her skills applied for a specific task. She could be a sub-contractor, brought on for a specific job. She could be a rank and file member, if infiltration and wet work is a regular thing the Sovereigns need done. Would she be a "fighter" for the guild? Well she's not a grunt, per-say. To draw an analogy, there's all sorts of tools a surgeon uses to get the job done. You have sharp scalpels and you have bone mallets. Fannie is the former, not the latter. She'd be deployed to take out specific targets, with minimal footprint, quick, quiet and clean.
12-09-2013, 11:41 PM
1. We have asked you about our character standard, but let ask something a bit more. BlackSky focuses on creating a immersive, and lore focused storyline. We do not mind some lore bending, but we as a guild focus on trying to remain within the bounds laid out by Carbine, and also the forms of Rp our guild aims to create.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. We are a guild in pre-launch which means our activities mostly focus around forum roleplay, chatroom events, and socializing on Skype, even so most of us are here for the long haul. What is your perspective?
12-10-2013, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 01:19 AM by scriptorium.)
Thoughts on the Place of Lore:

Lore is how you tell which game you're playing. I've never understood folks who feel the need to bend it into pretzels, but I've met them on the table top and online again and again. Lore gives us a common world and sets basic expectations. It allows our stories to mesh with the stories of other guilds and groups inhabiting the story landscape the game creators establish for us.

Anytime you bend Lore out of true, to give yourself special powers, special backgrounds, or other special snowflake traits, you create a barrier to RP. That barrier is explanation. You have to tell me about these special things about your character. That's exposition and it's the most boring damn thing you can do in storytelling or RP in general. You need to be able to show and not tell and it's really hard to show when your abilities have nothing to do with the actual game you're playing.

So to bend Lore responsibly, you need to color inside the lines creatively. The game will setup expectations and you can play on those assumptions to make your character unique. The game will also leave plenty of grey area to fill in. Game developers don't have time nor inclination to delineate the pros and cons of Grannok dental wear, for example. Point being, you can stay within the world set for you and find plenty of room to distinguish yourself. Lore doesn't inhibit creativity. Working with limitations is what inspires creativity.

Thoughts on the Road to Release:

Starting up early is always hard. We're looking at a good three months or so at least, before anyone will be hopping the Liveships to Nexus officially. Given that fact, it's best to keep expectations low. People have a lot of demands on their time. Many of us have MMOs we're playing now while we wait, with their connected communities. We have our RL friends and or RL duties and pastimes that demand time. That folks are here, apping for a guild for a game that doesn't exist yet shows enthusiasm that might border on the manic.

So given that environment and the wait ahead, I would try to keep the commitment light and easy. For myself, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with a group of roleplayers. I enjoy a bit of forum RP, because it's time commitments are light. It's not the most interactive of media, but it's more open than a play by mail(e-mail) RPG. I also enjoy writing, so its a natural fit.

[Image: scriptorium.png]
12-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the awesome replies Script! Your app is up for consideration! Apologies for the late reply, today was a bit busy :3
12-11-2013, 01:19 AM
No problem, I peek in from time to time to check up. I thought I set this up for notifications, but it doesn't seem to be sending them out. Thank you for indulging my rambling.

[Image: scriptorium.png]
12-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the BlackSky, Prospect!

Welcome to the BlackSky Community! As you have just passed our OOC interview the next step is your Roleplay introduction into the BlackSky!

To do this you can join an ongoing active open thread in our forums (ANY OPEN THREAD, check out the OOC Discussion if you need assistance!). You can also Rp your way in via skype with an officer, to do this just ask in here in your application thread or feel free to directly talk to an Officer (use your thread for this if you want to Big Grin). Finally, you can create a new OP in the Long Road forum to get an Rp going!

You will be a full prospect in the guild and on your way to earning your colors!

You can also work on your character bio (totally optional) and feel free to introduce yourself in the intro forum!