Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Coil Pulsar's Application
04-25-2014, 06:09 AM
RE: Coil Pulsar's Application
1. What did you think of the Black Sky (united) history showing both factions in equal light?

Reading through the reasons behind why the feud exists gave validity to it. It's not just saying “Well, we hate them because they are Domies and FREEDOMMMMMMMM”. There is a reason why the family split similar to why many feuds start, I know there is one in my own family almost as strong. While people aren’t killing each other there are very distinct feelings of hatred shared.

As for the equal light there is two sides to many disagreements and each side see things as they wish to. Those who feel they have been slighted and those who come out unscathed. The united history gives both sides a legitimate background for their fueled campaign.

2. What were your thoughts on the Malverines Lore and the themes that we present for them?

A band of brothers who fight for the underdog against what they see as a tyrannical, oppressive, regime. Sounds like a solid premise for a story and has been used for many successful ones in the past. Personally I am in favor, and indeed seek out, RP guilds who are more interested in the interpersonal connection of their guild members over the “Drama” of it all. There is never call to sacrifice the unity of the guild for a single storyline without the full OOC consent of the guild ahead of time. As you may be able to tell this has happened to me in the past and ended in the death of the guild itself. I find the concept of the Gang a solid one for story and RP with the other guilds in the Exiles Alliance or outside to the Domies and BrightStars.
04-26-2014, 11:47 PM
If you've ever seen Sons of Anarchy / Full Metal Achemist:Brotherhood you'll see some of the themes we want to mess around with Big Grin

1. As a member what do you desire from a good guild leader? Give us some examples and let us know what a leader should bring to the table? What about officers?

2. Now what about members in return? What should they do to make the guild a better place?

My Characters
Cathal Reily / Human Spellslinger / Malverine Boss
Fahari / Draken Stalker / Sovereign Enforcer

[Image: tumblr_m8xl6hHTwf1qey9xxo1_500.gif]

"The Harbinger is coming, and the Judicator will judge us all!"
-Season 1 teaser
04-27-2014, 01:42 AM
1. As a member what do you desire from a good guild leader? Give us some examples and let us know what a leader should bring to the table? What about officers?

Here you have hit on an interesting question as in my 12 years of MMORPG experience I have run into at least three distinctive styles of leadership. Some of these styles have been good but many have been bad, including my own early attempts before I learned myself. I had written a long diatribe on all the different GM styles I have encountered in the past but deleted it because who want's to read my wall of text. I will skip to the point, for once.

A GM should be, first and foremost, present to lead their guild. Letting officers take care of the filtering of information up to them is a perfect way to manage their time so they also can get in the RP and game play they wish to enjoy. An absent GM or a GM who only shows up to post additions to the forums or pops in twice a week to say HI before heading to their Other game or Other guild isn't a good example to their members.

Sometimes GM's try to be always the “good guys”. They don't want to punish or warn folks for poor behavior because then the chastised player may leave shrinking the guilds numbers. The GM's don't realize that getting rid of one bad apple will, often, improve the overall feel and helpfulness of the whole guild.

While a GM's IC character can be gruff or standoffish Gm's with this character type forget that they are also responsible for the folks in their guild and cultivating a rapport with them IC OR OOC is important. Even without an OOC channel to get to know folks IC the Gm's character can warm up to his guildies and open up in order to feel more approachable to those who are suppose to be watching his back. No one want's you to compromise your characters IC design but if you want to be a GM AND be an asshole or a loaner perhaps you should make a new toon to be the GM with. It's not a personality type conducive to leadership.

So, most of the above may seem like a cautionary tale but it is more of a by example discussion of how GM's should be present and involved with their guildies rather than setting themselves apart either through time management or character design. A problem with time management is often alleviated through the help of officers.

In a guild which relies on a command structure both IC and OOC officers play a crucial roll in being a n ear and a voice to the guildies on various topics to keep the GM from being constantly under a barrage of questions. The only caution when it comes to officers is having too many. An active guild full of officers tends to bicker for some reason. Keeping a “Second” to the GM then more Sergeants with the roll of specific activities such as PvE, PvP, Recruiting, Diplomacy. Helps to make sure there are always an officer online to help members and to keep officer bickering to a minimum.

2. Now what about members in return? What should they do to make the guild a better place?

To me the guildie has two responsibilities, to be present, and to communicate to the guild leadership and their other guildies. When I say a guildie should be present I mean that when they are online they should be communicating with the other people in the guild. Greetings and answering questions are common, even when the answer isn't known. Just letting folks know that you are there and listening to their troubles helps make you helpful. If you are a raiding guild or if you have a scheduled event a guildie should be there early and ready for whatever activities are happening.

If you are not happy in a guild and you have not said a word to anyone about it then, in my mind, you are as responsible for your unhappiness as the guild itself. No one is a mind reader and no one is going to pick up on your troubles. Go to the officers or GM and communicate with them about your issues. Don't just complain but go with a set of legitimate issues and, most importantly, a way which they can be solved. Bitching and crying is no good if you don't offer a way to help the situation as well.

A well run and happy guild is as much it's players as it is it's leadership, they compliment each other.
04-27-2014, 04:11 AM
1. The Malverines are inspired and based upon Outlaw Motorcycle Clubs, basically biker gangs. There is a lot to the culture and we try to keep the sense of that criminal organization while opening up new opportunities. How do you see your character connecting or fitting in with the Club?

2. Do you see yourself as a combative or non-combative or a mix of both for the Club? Would you join your brothers and sisters on a ride, or prefer working a business to earn the Club money?

3. What Club business were you thinking of working for? Or are you thinking of adding your own to boost the revenue for the Club?

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
04-27-2014, 08:04 AM
1. The Malverines are inspired and based upon Outlaw Motorcycle Clubs, basically biker gangs. There is a lot to the culture and we try to keep the sense of that criminal organization while opening up new opportunities. How do you see your character connecting or fitting in with the Club?

Coil is from a large, male dominated, family which ran it's own multi-generational business. There is no highfalutin corporation, think of it more as the olde tyme corner appliance shop. You took your toaster there when it stopped making golden toast, you took your TV there when it was on the fritz, maybe you asked him to come fix your washing machine when it was rocking out of control. The repairs were, usually, with refurbished parts and always lasted; backed with a personal guarantee of a handshake.

All of the children traveled together with the elder ones on jobs to learn the ins and outs of the business which turned them all into a Pack or Gang of their own. “I can punch my brother any time I want but if you look at him cross eyed I will knock you into next tuesday.” A phrase uttered often by the “Pulsar Kids”.

What I am demonstrating is that joining the Motorcycle Club is very much graduating from the Gang of her family to one with a bit more firepower, money, and sense. As for how she would meet up with or get in contact with the Club initially all anyone needs to do is be looking for, well, anything and they could easily turn to Coil to find it for them.

2. Do you see yourself as a combative or non-combative or a mix of both for the Club? Would you join your brothers and sisters on a ride, or prefer working a business to earn the Club money?

I see Coil as a combative character with a definite pull towards putting a thumb in the eye of the Domies through black-market acquisitions and trade weapons, military gear, illegal items, and anti-Domie propaganda.

As she grew up she used her talents for making contacts and trading black-market items to gain her family more business and I have hopes she would do the same for the Malverines.

3. What Club business were you thinking of working for? Or are you thinking of adding your own to boost the revenue for the Club?

Having grown up in a family of fixers she did pick up some skills to assess and fix mechanical items. While she would rather be drinking and breaking heads she could easily support other mechanics serving the bikes and weapons of fellow members. Ideally Coil would want the blessing of the Club to continue here black-market opportunities with the benefits going to the Club, her new family.
04-27-2014, 10:48 PM
1. We have asked you about our character standard, but let ask something a bit more. BlackSky focuses on creating a immersive, and lore focused storyline. We do not mind some lore bending, but we as a guild focus on trying to remain within the bounds laid out by Carbine, and also the forms of Rp our guild aims to create.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. We are a guild in pre-launch which means our activities mostly focus around forum roleplay, chatroom events, and socializing on Skype, even so most of us are here for the long haul. What is your perspective?

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
04-28-2014, 12:19 AM
1. We have asked you about our character standard, but let ask something a bit more. BlackSky focuses on creating a immersive, and lore focused storyline. We do not mind some lore bending, but we as a guild focus on trying to remain within the bounds laid out by Carbine, and also the forms of Rp our guild aims to create.

What are your thoughts on this?

As a writer of lore there is nothing I like better than taking something that is a wonderful open ended framework and adding my own filling within the same nature and style of the framework already in place. When looking at other MMO's live today many have a Very Very rich set of Lore. Thousands of pages of fluff for people to pick and choose from when crafting a character and ongoing storylines. I admire that Wildstar choose to go a route different than the current norm. We, as Rpers within the environment, have a number of wonderful guild lines which to work from but we are not hampered by it.

As for craziness in character storyline. I'm not so wedded to cannon that if your name is not from the recorded names I will decry your RP abilities. I believe Wildstar has done a good job showing the flavor and style or their world through the released lore working within it should be no problem at all. Although, if I see a sparkling vampire I reserve the right to burn it to the ground in a heartbeat.

2. We are a guild in pre-launch which means our activities mostly focus around forum roleplay, chatroom events, and socializing on Skype, even so most of us are here for the long haul. What is your perspective?

I don't tend to play more than one MMO at a time and I do not flit between them well either. I prefer to start and help craft the RP community into the best it can be, when it agrees that is. As you know from the chats we have had I work from home and am often online and available to play in game or skype or what have you. I am ready, preordered, and set for the long haul in WS; anxious for it to begin.
04-28-2014, 07:05 AM
Thanks, your app is now up for consideration.

You can now ask me a few questions now Big Grin

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
04-28-2014, 07:20 AM
Thank you, I'm sure I can muster up a few.

1. This question is to you as a GM Cathal. Do you see your toon as a part of the Gang as well as being it's leader or do you see Cathal as more of a catalyst towards the members of the Gang seeding the environment for RP?

2. A question about the Seasons of Storyline and preparation of them. When you create them are you creating a rigid outline which the players in the gang must act out or do you leave room for the members of the gang to enrich the events within it. For example an event in the Seasonal storyline of “Investigating the cave where the Bad Man was last sighted.” OR “Gang members Sam and Joe investigate the cave where the Bad Man was last sighted so they can confront the man and take him into custody.”

I guess the question is do you let the gang members affect the possible outcomes or all the outcomes set in stone ahead of time?

3. Do you believe that patience is one of the strongest attributes a roleplayer can have and if not why and which would be more suited to that title?
04-28-2014, 07:49 AM
1. I see Cathal as the IC guild leader, and as that he is the catalyst to create story, and to act as a springboard for more story. Like Mal in Firefly he led things, but he also provided seeds for story down the road. Even Kusanagi or Aramik were only players in the story, and not the focus of the story.

2. A good question and one a bit complicated to answer. I would say that some elements will be controlled, some will not. Everyone will have a chance to actively make suggestions, and communicate options. But with that being said, in a large event that can decide the fate of the entire guild, we are going to try to avoid people just ass-pulling actions without communication to those running it.

I would say that in general each episode will either be open ended and organic with a simple focus, and that the bigger building ones will likely be multi-part situations. Which like in a good DnD game have a few outcomes decided beforehand that can then be modified on the go.

3. Patience is important because in general if too many good big events happen in succession it will wear people out. That requires people to understand when its time for their character to take up the chekhov's gun, and when its time to let a new member have the spot light.

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser