Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Application: Coyotzin
05-04-2014, 06:00 AM
RE: Application: Coyotzin
1. It's a great way to avoid RP from petering out. One of my favorite quotes is from Mark Twain: "It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense." By providing a structure, people know when a story is over (although plot threads may survive to the next arc), and you avoid having a bunch of people wondering what happens next. Character-driven RP is the bread and butter of roleplaying in MMOs, but if you frame that into a structured story, things can get even better.

2. "Adult RP" in the sense that it employs maturity already sort of implies the "Grey Line", because mature stories should already acknowledge that people are complicated, and not paint anyone in black and white strokes. HOWever, I'm not very much a fan of making actual monsters sympathetic. I never got into "Dexter" because it drives audiences to rationalize and justify the actions of a serial killer, and since one of my tenets is personal accountability, that series let its protagonist literally to get away with murder, and the consequences of his actions were pretty forgiving for what he was doing.

The best example that comes to mind of a good grey line story is the episode in Avatar: The Last Airbender where Katara enlists Zuko's aid to find the general who took her mother, and it's implied she wants to kill him. Katara goes to a very dark place in that episode, but in the end she realizes the full reality of said general and takes the higher road.

[Image: tumblr_n9isgnQSyh1qkky4zo1_500.jpg]
A member of the BlackSky Community
05-04-2014, 10:09 AM
1. What did you think of the Black Sky (united) history showing both factions in equal light?

2. What were your thoughts on the Sovereigns Lore and the themes that we present for them?

My Characters
Cathal Reily / Human Spellslinger / Malverine Boss
Fahari / Draken Stalker / Sovereign Enforcer

[Image: tumblr_m8xl6hHTwf1qey9xxo1_500.gif]

"The Harbinger is coming, and the Judicator will judge us all!"
-Season 1 teaser
05-04-2014, 05:14 PM
1. An interesting read and part of what convinced me to apply Smile If anything, it needs a clearer explanation on why each faction ended up the way they are now. Why do the Malverines deal with drugs? Why are they still considered Exiles instead of simply going the way of independent groups like the Marauders? Why did the Sovereigns decide to be a merc company instead of politically making themselves into a legion or renowned corps within the Dominion military? How did they pull it off with official sanction? And also, for both of them, WHAT is their stake in Nexus, given their semi-independent nature from Exiles and Dominion?

2. It's intriguing. It has a very strong soldier of fortune/chivalric flavor with a dash of ruthless disdain for (other people's) life in the course of a mission. It lends itself for all sorts of military stories from Starship Troopers to Gundam <insert iteration>.

2b. I'm not as impressed by the Malverine lore as I am with the Sovereigns, partly for the aforementioned reason that it could be easy for characters to play it cool and end up in silly, and perhaps because I'm not as enamored with biker/gang culture. However, the outlaw narrative that guided the Invid Invasion part of Robotech and Firefly, and dates back to Robin Hood, it's very attractive. Perhaps if the Malverines were a bit on the run or on the bad side of Exile Judges, this aspect could be strengthened.

05-05-2014, 03:15 AM
Coy, to let you know there are a series of new policies incoming which will include an alt rule. You are going to need to select one of your two characters as your main.

1. The Sovereigns are influenced and based upon the Pinkerton Dective Agency, or Private Military Contractors. They are dutiful to the Empire, but work for the highest bidder. What are your thoughts on this and how your character fits or connects with this organization?

2. Do you see yourself as a fighter or a support character for the Agency? Or maybe a bit of both? Would you join an Agency expedition, raid, or simply work to help it increase its funds?

3.Which Agency businesses were you thinking of working for? Or are you thinking of adding your own business to the Agency as a means to provide in part for the Agency?

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
05-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Plans are for Scylla the draken spellslinger to be my main, especially as I see fewer numbers in the Sovereigns Smile

1. Well, IRL, I LOATHE Pinkerton and all it represented and think that PMCs should be arrested and sent to a prison colony on Mars (wait, it's not built yet? Have THEM build it! Smile ). Narratively speaking, tho', I'm thinking more of a scricter The Expendables. Scylla would be totally separate from the politics and decision-making of teh Agency, but the Agency provides the chance to do potentially exciting things that will potentially piss someone off, which is her lifeblood Smile She'd be a field operative, most likely a scout, but I'm thinking about her having musical talent and playing gigs at the lodge when she's chilling after a field assignment.

2. As a player, providing support comes rather naturally to me, but Scylla will be more of a fighter, so I'd say a little bit of both. Joining operations is a definite yes. OOCly I want to try ranged dps; I've always played support roles (mostly healer, but also tank), so now I want to try to relax and just pew-pew Big Grin. Still, given how spellslingers can also be healers and changing specs is very easy in the game, I could try healing if needed.

3. Scylla is too scatter-brained to run her own business, so she's simply going to work directly for the Agency and moonlight at the Lodge.

05-05-2014, 08:00 AM
1. We have asked you about our character standard, but let ask something a bit more. BlackSky focuses on creating a immersive, and lore focused storyline. We do not mind some lore bending, but we as a guild focus on trying to remain within the bounds laid out by Carbine, and also the forms of Rp our guild aims to create.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. We are a guild in pre-launch which means our activities mostly focus around forum roleplay, chatroom events, and socializing on Skype, even so most of us are here for the long haul. What is your perspective?

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
05-05-2014, 10:04 AM
1. Lore is very important, otherwise we might as well just play in forums in a homebrew setting. In WoW I never gave any attention to those who claimed to be Arthas' children, and I intend to do the same for anyone who claims to be the hybernated son of Dominus.

2. I preordered the game, so I have that first step for commitment Smile I confess I'm a terrible forum member. I often forget to check the site unless I'm subscribed to a given thread and receive the notifications by email. I just need to develop the habit Smile I'm happy to socialize over Skype, but my free time can be checkered. I work from home so I'm usually by the computer all day, but I also need to keep track of some RL stuff and may go afk at any moment.

05-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Good to know, you are going to want to check the forums weekly as we'll be posting important IC and OOC stuff here Big Grin

Okay your app is up for consideration.

You are free to ask me some questions if you'd like Big Grin

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
05-06-2014, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 07:48 AM by Coyotzin.)
My questions revolve mostly around PvE matters and OOC guild business.. some of them are not quite questions but comments, even ^^;:

1. Those of us who preordered will have a 3-day headstart, so the decision on which server to create characters should be made before that. Also, a 3-day headstart should be more or less enough for a few people to gather the funds to have the guild all up and running before/upon launch. I spent some of the beta time to figure out ways to make money, so I'll be happy to pitch in. (I must applaud Carbine for adding so many gold sinks to match the rate of gold accrual and seemingly low prices on stuff... it gives a sense of fluidity throughout the game experience).

2. Official guild dungeon/adventure runs; OOC/IC/both/at all?

3. Would guild chat be IC or OOC? And if so, will there be a special chat channel for the other mode?

4. Housing and neighboring... will there be a special IC policy to who can be neighbors? Will someone's house be designated as the Agency/Club HQ? Would public RP events include a "VIP" section that is actually someone's house?

5. Are there plans for the Elder Game?

6. Will there be an official policy about guild bank donations/withdrawals and sharing crafting materials/recipe drops/products?

7. Are different players leading the Malverines and Sovereingns? Because technically they must be two different guilds in their respective factions.

8. Can you make Charlie Hunnam stop distracting me? Big Grin

05-06-2014, 01:15 PM
1. We have a server protocol in place, we just need the servers.

2. Yes, but I wouldn't expect them to start a bit after launch.

3. Guild Chat will be OOC, if we can form a chat channel or circle there will be an IC chat for each Faction called MalvCom, and SovCom.

4. We do not have a policy, yet, for neighborhoods. The Agency Club will be one of the active characters in the guild. There will be a VIP section in the Host Club in the upper area.

5. Yes.

6. Yes there is a policy written, it covers a straightforward tier system. We also have low tolerance for abuse of the guild vault.

7. Yes, I lead the Malverines IC, and Zbug will be using his character, Clara, to lead the Sovereigns. However, both guilds OOC will have my characters as in-game guild masters to prevent fracturing of the clan.

8. Nope, you must bask in his glory.

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser