Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[ IC Interview ] Graveyard
05-16-2014, 04:37 PM
[ IC Interview ] Graveyard
(I apologize in advance for the length. I got carried away.)

It had already been a long day for the medical center. The ongoing project of inhabiting Nexus and keeping it from the would-be enemies of the Dominion had taken it's toll on the men and women, sending many of them through the hospital doors. And who was the one left with caring for them? The Cassian woman sitting in the cafe, drinking a hot cup of brew to help her stay awake and alert.

She had been stuck with these late shifts for a while now. She loathed it. Not that she minded the work, but she was much happier when there wasn't minimal staff and maybe someone to talk to, or at least someone to tell her that she did a good job. Her goal as a doctor wasn't for praise or recognition, but that didn't mean she didn't want to hear someone compliment her work. She was in the business of saving lives, so why did it feel like she was a janitor? Like when she did things properly, no one noticed. Yet everyone noticed and was quick to comment if something went wrong.

The lifestyle wasn't perfect, but it had it's perks. Mainly the money. She was taken care of and that was always nice. Would she like more? Absolutely. But she couldn't afford to be too picky. Job offers weren't exactly lining up for her. You didn't see many talent scouts in medicine. And she wouldn't even say she's the best in the business, she's not that arrogant.

She sat alone at her table, both hands wrapped around her cup to keep her fingers warm and relaxed. Things were peaceful despite the nature of her work. There was a moment of stillness and peace. No one was dying, no screams of pain, and no gunfire or explosions. At least until her perfect moment of peace was shattered by a high-pitch beeping echoing out of her comm, dragging the attention of the few other patrons in the cafe her direction. She quickly silenced the device and checked the message.

"OR5" it read. Operating room five. Time to go to work. She stood and took one last sip of her drink before tossing it in the receptacle and jogging towards the operating room. She pushed open the doors and immediately made for the hand-wash station where she sterilized her hands in rather hot water and some sort of cleanser. She'd always wondered what it was called but never bothered to ask. The nurse helped her into her scrubs and helped Ahlia with her gloves, and then they entered the room, the patient lying on the table awaiting her aid.

"What happened?" she asked and looked to her anesthesiologist who had the mask placed over the mouth and nose of the patient, but it was the nurse watching the patient's vitals that answered.

"Some accident in a factory. There was a small explosion and the patient was hit by flying debris. Some of it shot into his chest."

"Then let's keep it from going into his heart if we can. Keep a crash cart ready. And have a transplant on standby, I don't want to open him up only to see his heart is too far gone to salvage."

((This point is the beginning of the surgical procedure to the best of my writing abilities and the best that I could research! Skip it if you don't care about heart surgery.))

A quick 'yes doctor' was said by the rest of the staff and Ahlia quickly got to work. First thing's first, they had to get through the thick breastplate of the Cassian. So that's what she did. She cut through the flesh and exposed the ribcage with the heart beneath it. She could see the bottom of the weakly beating organ, and it didn't look good.

"Rough start, let's hurry this up before he gets worse." Grabbing the saw, she began cutting through the ribs carefully, keeping her hands as steady as she could and the nurse applied the crank to open up some room for the heart to be operated on. It was with this opening that Ahlia saw the extent of the damage. "I don't think we can salvage this... There's too much damage to the tissue, the fact that it's still beating at all is nothing short of a blessing for him... Where's the transplant?"

"On the way, doctor."

"Then let's start removing this one." She grabbed the cross-clamp and attached it to the aortic valve to keep blood from filling the cavity.

"How's the atrium, Doctor Sqou?" asked the nurse who took a peek into the patient's chest.

"Good enough for the transplant, be ready with that tray." She began cutting through the left aorta, making sure to avoid cutting any of the pulmonary veins and leaving a small, circular section of the atrium in place for the transplant. Once the cutting was finished and the staff was ready, the damaged heart was removed and the newly-opened cavity was examined for other signs of shrapnel to ensure the new heart was not damaged.

When she was satisfied that it was safe, the new heart was brought in, the small container opened up and revealed the stagnant heart atop a bed of ice. It was removed and held over the cavity to get an idea of the shape needed to best fit the remnants of the atrium left inside the patient from the previous, failing heart. Once she had that down, she began carefully cutting around the new heart. After a few minutes of careful coordination with her nurse, Ahlia placed the donor heart inside the patient and began the process of suturing it to the original valves, a process that she despised. It was so intricate and so dangerous... And painstakingly time-consuming. Not to mention difficult with the cardiopulmonary bypass equipment hooked up to the valves and not yet removed. That left a lot of tubes running through the chest.

"What if the new heart doesn't take?" asked one nurse with concern, unsure of what the contingency was if the heart was rejected or failed.

"Leeet's not think about that just yet..." What was the contingency? Putting the patient on life support until another transplant was approved. IF it was approved. That's a lot of time and effort to spend on a patient when the odds aren't in their favor.

She pushed the thought from her mind and finished up the process of suturing the new heart into place. There was just one major thing left to do. The tubes were removed, the valves all realigned and connected, and Ahlia reached into the patient's chest, wrapped her fingers around the new heart, and simulated a heartbeat with her fingers.

"Thumb, palm, thumb, palm, thumb, palm..." she repeated rhythmically in her head. And to her great pleasure, the heart began beating on it's own. "Go tell the Critical-Care Ward that they're going to receive a transplant patient." And just like that, she was left with just two nurses to stitch-up the opening they'd created - And just like that, it was over. Not even so much as a pat on the back.

((This marks the end of the surgery!))

Ahlia just stood there for a moment as the patient was wheeled out on a stretcher, looking at the operating table and her bloodied gloves. Those moments following were brutal for her. No longer was she a life-saver, but someone who had cheated death. Someone who constantly carried the lives of others quite literally in her hands. She was fortunate this time. Losing a patient never came easy to anybody, even if they aren't doctors for moral reasons. She never understood how someone could kill another person and not feel any sense of dread. Maybe it was justified in defense of your own life, but seeing another life end by your hand was something that she felt would scar the mind of any person. No matter how bloodthirsty. How much could one person take?

She left the room, disposed of her now-contaminated equipment and garb, and made for her office to begin the paperwork process. She propped the door open to let air circulate through the office and keep her from getting too stuffy. As she sat behind her glass desk, she untied her hair and ran her hands through it, letting it resume it's natural state of looking blown out and letting her bangs fall to one side. People often assumed she was older because her hair was gray, but that was something in her genes. It was typical for her family members to start receiving gray hairs even younger than she was.

"One thing they don't mention in school or training," she muttered to herself. "All the damn paperwork..."
05-16-2014, 05:06 PM
RE: [ IC Interview ] Graveyard
As Clara walked through the hospital she sighed as the familiar smells wafted into her nose. Blood and antiseptic, the sweat of nurses and doctors run down from long days, her family was usually in the business of filling places like to capacity, but this visit had a different purpose. Walking down the halls an occasional nurse would attempt to stop her, only stopping short of speaking when the small red and gold star caught her eye. Stopping at the Nurses station, Clara leaned over the counter looking a member of the staff in the eye, "I'm looking for a Ahlia, I don't think I need to give you a last name..." While she spoke, Clara's turned the station's monitor around, giving the attendant a long look at the hilts of her stalker blades. One of the younger nurses pointed a finger at an office down a long hall, avoiding eye contact at all costs, "Uh, down the hall Ma'am, but she just left from an extensive surgery..."

Walking down the hall, Clara winked at the nurse, still avoiding her stare "Sweetheart what I have to say will make her evening." Walking down the hall Clara observed the clear signs that the nurse wasn't inflating recent events, doctors were huddled together talking about the recent heart transplant, piles of scrubs sat in a basket ready for decontamination. Reaching the door to Ahlia's office, Clara calmly opened the door. The doctor was siting behind her desk, filling out paperwork of some sort. With a confident stride, Clara grabbed one of the chairs in front of the desk and took a seat, placing another of the small red stars on the glass desk in front of her. With a calm smile, Clara crossed her legs and placed one hand on the table, "Doctor I have a proposal for you that I think you will love."

[Image: BSM-Test_zpsf11a4753.png]
A member of the BlackSky Community
05-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Ahlia was not expecting any visitors, and wasn't really wanting any at that moment. "Ma'am, if you're asking to interview me for a medical journal, it needs to be when I'm not in the middle of a shift." It was at that moment that she saw the red star placed on her desk and she immediately looked up to see Clara. "But... That's of course why you're not here..." She seemed a bit awe-struck at first. But that effect quickly vanished in favor of a more professional demeanor.

"I hope your proposal is to get me off of these graveyard shifts, I rather miss my social life." She smirked and quirked an eyebrow at the stalker. Ahlia was no expert on any military group, or paramilitary for that matter. She knew what the star represented but not much else about any of it. Nevertheless, she knew this was not a situation to take lightly. She figured this visit had to be something better than the praise she'd yearned for. This was something more along the lines of something she'd dreamed of. At least she was hoping. "To what do I owe the pleasure, Miss..?"
05-16-2014, 11:33 PM
"I hope your proposal is to get me off of these graveyard shifts, I rather miss my social life." Clara leaned back into her chair, the light of the office hitting the medals on her chest, "Well that depends on how our conversation goes now doesn't it? Lieutenant Clara Fitzroy, pleased to meet you." Pulling out her dataslate, Clara pulled up the file on the doctor and showed it to her. "I have been watching you for quite a bit Doc...I can call you Doc right? Anyway, you have exceptional skill, yet you aren't in charge, I think your talents are wasted here and would be a better fit in my organization." Running her fingers through her hair, Clara looked around the doctor's office, "Your current situation seems less than optimal, we can provide you with funding and resources to pursue whatever your heart desires...within reason of course." Clara was relaxed, her Cassian accent coming out smooth and silky as she spoke. An alarm went off in the hospital, some nonsense blaring about a code of some sort. Leaning back, Clara closed the door with one of her stalker blades, "I think this is more important than that distraction."

05-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Ahlia set down her pen and leaned back in her chair, leaving her papers be for the moment while she tried to gather all of the information coming her way. Then her attention was snagged by the alarm, there was a Code Omega sounding off but it wasn't for her patient. When the door closed, she eyed Clara once more. "I'd prefer Doctor Sqou or just Ahlia, but you're the one making promises. So if you want to call me 'Doc' then go right ahead." She crossed her legs in her chair and laced her fingers together around her knee, wanting to look professional since she was essentially being offered a job.

"You're not going to throw money at me because I'm a good doctor, you're going to do it because there's something you want me to do for you in return... And I'll be honest, I'm nervous about what it is. Especially if it was enough for you to come all the way down here to offer me a job."
05-17-2014, 02:52 AM
Smiling as the doctor spoke, Clara repositioned herself in the chair. "You're partially correct, I am going to need you to do something for my organization, but your medical skills are what brought me here." Listening to the noises coming from the hall, Clara scratched behind her ear, "Finding a good doctor is one thing, finding one that has ambition is a completely matter. You would mostly be doing what you do now, but you would be doing it in a much nicer facility, with free reign to whatever side projects and research you feel like setting your mind to." Clara stood up and walked around the office, looking at the various certificates and degrees on the wall, "Of course your time would be your own while you weren't on an assignment, and some of those assignments might contradict the oath that I hear people in your profession take. Would that be a problem?"

05-17-2014, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 03:12 AM by Ninja Cadillac.)
Something that Clara said struck Ahlia in a profoundly unsettling way. "Excuse me, Miss Fitzroy, but the ambiguity of your statement isn't sitting well with me... You came to me with a job offer, so just tell me what's going on. What would you have me do that would break my oath? I'm not a soldier, and I'm not a tactitian. I don't expect you'll ask me to take any lives." She furrowed her brow and watched Clara with uncertainty. Her voice was flat but fairly stern. She didn't want to seem demanding or unappreciative of any job offer, but she didn't want to be treated like someone fresh out of school, either. "I'm too old and too busy to accept a blind job offer."
05-17-2014, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 03:13 AM by zbug84.)
Turning around to face Ahlia, Clara sighed, "Well I will be plain with you, I do not expect you to kill, unless it is in self defense. I will expect you to withhold medical treatment to friend and foe alike, to extend their pain...if it is something I deem necessary." Sitting back down in the chair, Clara looked into Ahlia's eyes, it was nonthreatening, but cold. "I will tell you this, the moment I ask you to take a life, it will be for a very good reason. What I am offering is an opportunity to be on the cutting edge of your profession, a leader in your field, but you have to be willing to cross the line of ethics to do so. Can you do that?" Clara leaned back in her chair, her stare subsiding. "But as I said, if you are worried you are signing up for a secretive death squad, you are not. Is that clear enough?"

05-17-2014, 03:20 AM
The doctor met Clara's gaze. Her's wasn't cold or anything to imply she wasn't pleased with the offer, but rather one of a businesswoman. Ahlia had the gaze of a woman who knew how to calculate. "Would I be working under someone else? Or are you offering me my own practice?" She was definitely intrigued by the offer now. Could she take orders? Absolutely. If the price and promise was good enough, she'd be willing to make sacrifices. She wasn't so idealistic that she believed her oath as a doctor would ever be so black and white as saying 'saving lives good, not saving bad'. She knew there were gray areas. A lot of them.

"And yes. It is very clear that I won't be joining a 'secretive death squad'. Thank you."
05-17-2014, 03:31 AM
"Would I be working under someone else? Or are you offering me my own practice?" "Ah there it is," Clara thought to herself, "Ambition." Smiling again, Clara leaned forward, "You would have your own practice of course, reporting only to me and my superiors, if they feel the need to get hands on in daily operations. You would have free reign to select your own medical staff, i'm not a fan of micromanaging."Tabbing a few keys on her thigh pad, Clara transferred a list of medical candidates to a spare dataslate and handed it to Ahlia with a small red and gold leather bound book. "There is a list of fresh candidates from the Medical Corps on the Arkship, you could use that as a start, or not, it's up to you. "Any security staff can be procured from the Arkship or Mikros, again it's your decision. As an old saying goes you will be writing your own ticket if you are interested."