Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Caelvyn
06-18-2014, 04:49 AM
Caelvyn
About the Player
Main Character Name / Primary Alt Name: Caelvyn
Enjin / WildStar Central Username: None, currently.
Primary Character / Alts Joining the BlackSky: Caelvyn
IM Contacts: None, currently. Can correct this if it’s a guild policy.
What is your primary region / timezone and playtimes? EST – Evenings. Weekends are open (save special circumstances).

Are you eighteen or older? (Please state your age if you can.)
Did you read and do you agree to abide by our Rules and Policy?
Yep.
Where did you find us and why do we stand out?
Wildstar-roleplay.com posting. I’ve heard of the previous GW2 group as well during my time there. I’d run a small guild called the International Purity Agency, but interest in the game waned (weak lore and RP features) and we disbanded.
Would you like to join our Guild Skyp Group? And or the Guild Mailing List?
Sure.
Are you a member of any additional guilds, circles, warplots etc?
Nope.
What are your primary playstyles?
(Casual / Medium / Hardcore RP, PvP, Social, PvE, Raiding, Dungeons, Crafting)
Heavy RP, PvP, and casual dungeon / raid running. Will likely move to more crafting and dungeons / raids as I begin to cap out in PvP rewards (recently dinged 50).

About Roleplay
What is your roleplaying experience?
Long, long term experience. I’ve been into heavy roleplay since I was young, so going on for well over a decade, as scary as that is to think about. I’ve been in some deep RP communities in chat, wow, and several other MMO’s, but have mostly been an RP nomad. I’m now looking for a place to ‘call home’ and many of the features of Wildstar seem to indicate it’ll have a deep and long-running rp community. Housing, costumes, dyes, and the persistent world are all things RPer’s have enjoyed in other games, but never in one place. This is an exciting prospect for me.

My history includes a lot of leadership experience, including GM and co-GM positions. I’ve been heavily involved in long-running guild storyline creation, events, non-rp event calendaring, and have managed the general day-to-day as well.

What are your primary Roleplay Limits?
I’ll RP pretty much any scenario, as long as questionable content is previously agreed on, though I don’t personally ERP. I take no issue with it, or other sexual content, but it’s not an RP style I’m interested in.

Are you okay with the R rated (content in our guild contains adult language, violent situations, partial nudity, narcotics) nature of our Roleplay?
Sure. No problems with that.

What do IC Consequences mean to you? Would you be willing to deal with the consequences listed in our lore? Such as humiliation? OR even being beaten within an inch of life or worse?
Sure, though context is important. Proper IC situations that exist within the lore, and are agreed upon by all parties, I take no issue with. RP bullying, however, I’d have a problem with, though I doubt that’d come up (as far as I can tell) here.

Would you be willing to take consequences if your character left the Club or Agency and warranted them?
Sure.

About the Character
NOTE: The following information will create the foundation of your IC Interview, and also let us know more about your character. Answers in character and you may use third, or first person. Answer respectively for your chosen Faction.

Why you here? Who you looking for, stranger?

Cael sat with her back to the corner and draped one leg over the other. Her armor rattled and the chair groaned with the added weight, but she didn’t pay it much attention. She began to speak, her voice sounding distant and electronic through the armored mouthpiece. She hesitated, then stopped talking long enough to unclasp the helmet.
“Apologies,” she said, stringy platinum hair falling out in knots. “I sometimes forget I have it on.”
She cleared her throat, set her helmet to the side, then started again.
“I’m not looking for anyone. Not really. I'm just wandering. But I guess it’d be a different answer if I found someone, wouldn't it?”

How you'd you hear of the outfit?

“I've been looking for work and the name came up. You have to work if you want to eat, right? I thought the club might be a good place for me. I've been thinking about settling down, doing something less hectic than what I’m used to. At least for a little while.”

Didn't get your name stranger, what is it? What class you again?

“Caelvyn. Cael is fine. I’m a swordswoman, but I can brawl if I need to.”

Fine then. What can you bring to the table? And where we suppose to put you?

“I want to work in the club, obviously. I don’t dance, though, and I’m not interested in serving drinks. I can keep the peace fine, and I can even do it without wrecking up the place. I've considered soldiering too, or debt collection. As long as it keeps me active.” She leaned back in her chair, a small smile appearing.
“I was told a story once. A couple of sharp-shooters met at a saloon. Two of them were well-known lawmen who’d spent years on the frontier. The other three were bandits, known for picking off victims from a great distance.”
She snapped her fingers, ordered a drink, then continued.
“Having agreed to a duel, the shooters met outside the saloon. It wasn’t one-on-one, but three against two. Still, both sides were confident they’d be the first ones to hit their marks, and lined up to prepare for a much-anticipated showdown.
“And it was over almost the moment it started,” Cael said, turning back to the interviewer. “When it was done, one of the people watching said ‘that takes a lot longer in the hollo-films’. His friend looks at him and goes, ‘yeah, because them bastards could shoot!’”
The smile was more obvious now.
“The moral is, when someone knows what they’re doing, it’s over quick and clean. I'm someone who knows what she's doing.” She took her drink with thanks when it arrived, then raised an eyebrow at a question. She took a sip before answering.
“I don’t know who won the duel.”

What baggage you caring?

She watched the interviewer for a while, her expression having changed. The curve of her smile had disappeared, and her eyebrows turned down slightly. She raked a finger through her hair, untangling some of the knots.
“I don’t feel like we know each other well enough for that,” she said. “Sorry.”

(Her personal weaknesses are a sense of being unkind and uncaring, and her inability to really connect well with others. She also has a temper, and tends to be somewhat prissy. Some of her flaws are directly related to her backstory, so I don’t want to toss them out there yet. I like backstory and history to be something that is developed and discovered through RP.)

Well the, finally, what do you think of the enemy?

“What, the Dominion?” She waves a hand. “I’m not overly interested in the war, beyond how it effects my daily life. Which is to say, quite a bit, but it’s not a personal thing for me. You do what you have to do to survive. That’s all.”
She stared a moment, then realized the interviewer was still waiting.
“Oh,” she said. “You want to know about the Agency too? I don’t have any opinion on them. I guess that’ll change though, won’t it?”

Luck is a very thin wire between survival and disaster, and not many people can keep their balance on it.
06-18-2014, 05:12 AM
RE: Caelvyn
Shall we begin?

1. Take a moment to read our guild rules again, and tell us a bit about your thoughts on conflict resolution? What were your thoughts on our guild rules in general?

2. The BlackSky Community holds a set of key values including brotherhood, and strong guild identity. We focus on common interactions in the community, but believe in building our collective guild community first, why do you think we do that?

My Characters
Cathal Reily / Human Spellslinger / Malverine Boss
Fahari / Draken Stalker / Sovereign Enforcer

[Image: tumblr_m8xl6hHTwf1qey9xxo1_500.gif]

"The Harbinger is coming, and the Judicator will judge us all!"
-Season 1 teaser
06-18-2014, 05:35 AM
1. I like the requirement that evidence must be provided before a request is taken seriously. I've seen a lot of 'he said she said' in guilds, especially medium-large ones, and as an officer, trying to juggle all that can be a massive headache. Another one that stood out to me was the cannon lore rule. Thumbs up on that.

In terms of conflict resolution, that's something I have quite a bit of experience in. Unless something is egregious, with staunch evidence, I've always try to stay as impassive and understanding as possible to both parties involved. I think being able to do that is key. Conflicts are almost always two-sided, and it's only fair to hear both parties out. Where I personally draw the line, is with repeat offences, especially if the complaints come from many different groups about a particular offender.

I think progressive warnings, as listed on the rules, are an important factor. The rest relies on the person attempting to resolve the conflict.

2. Because a team without a strong identity, ipso facto, will collapse in on itself. People need something to represent. They want something to belong to. Colors to wear. I've often been a proponent of guild uniforms for this very reason.

But that also means the community has to be built. You can have the best idea, the best identity, but if people don't feel like the 'belong' to it by the group being put first, again, it'll collapse. It can be a delicate balance.

Luck is a very thin wire between survival and disaster, and not many people can keep their balance on it.
06-18-2014, 06:18 AM
1. As a member what do you desire from your guild leader and officers? Then what do you think they can realistically accomplish?

2. As a member in turn what can you desire to do to improve, or better the guild? What do you then think you can accomplish?

3. What can both do to build a strong healthy guild?

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
06-18-2014, 08:14 AM
1. Some level of dedication to the goals of the guild, including the desires to fulfill roles like recruitment, managing the day to day operations of the guild, and keeping activities as active and frequent as possible. Fairness is a big one as well, in regards to conflict.

What they can realistically accomplish will depend on things like schedules, responsibilities, etc. I think it's realistic to expect anyone who takes up an officership role to first understand what is expected, then to fulfill the different needed roles to the best of their abilities. Can't run events? Help manage event planning. Don't have time to deal with a lot of in game dealings? Hit the forums and act as a moderator.

Most of all, an officer should not agree to take the job in the first place if they don't know that they can fulfill the role. That's not the same as taking it then stepping down, but as a former GM I've experienced lazy officers before, and it tends to drag on the whole team over time.

2. I have a lot of experience running events, both large and small, including DM based roll events. I've been in guilds that have run long-term seasonal events, and I can help with mild photoshop work, writing, planning, and event execution. Mostly, though, I just like to try and bring compelling character-driven rp to the table.

3. I think the members and officers both share at least one responsibility, and that's putting their own wants and needs behind that of the guild as a whole. This means things like, maybe not trying to constantly take center stage, so others can shine in RP, or being patient if there are conflicts or other disruptions to activities.

But of course, if members are active and participatory, this lessens the impact of those kinds of disruptions. That's something the members can do.

06-18-2014, 05:14 PM
1. Please take a moment and read our rules on lore and roleplay. In your own words express what think of our openess on character types (as in the structure of the faction roles) versus our standards of RP and characters.

2. Lets discuss consequences, limits and how they affect roleplay content. In our guild we have core values of Rp such as the Grey Line, the Adult Factor, and that Old Table Top. Why are these factors important to roleplay, and storytelling?

3. Our guild utilizes various methods of storytelling, but we in general organize our primary storyline into episodic content, then categorized into seasons. Why do we do this? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

4. BlackSky has its own fanon, but we also prefer a conservative stance on the more speculative topics of Lore. What are your thoughts on this?

5. If we do not acknowledge certain aspects of fanon or headcanon as a group are you okay remaining in character and ignoring them?

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
06-18-2014, 10:52 PM
1. I like the way it's put together, to allow both openness while avoiding mary-su syndrome. Particularly, I appreciate the section regarding characters who are 'too inept' to do their jobs, since that polar opposite of the ultimate mary su can be just as damaging to roleplay (not to mention overtly trope heavy and lacking in any real depth).

I also like the clause that allows for defectors, for reasons specific to my character backstory. I also didn't find anything that I'd consider contradictory or a red-flag regarding the rules. They seem very well thought-out.

2. The first two are about complexity, depth, and realism. Obviously we're not in the 'real world' but having characters who confront mature issues, and who may not be totally black and white in nature, allows us to suspend disbelief and involve ourselves in a storyline or character. In terms of the table top, it's something I've always supported, and it's one of the reasons I'm a huge fan of DM and /roll and stat based events, when available. It forces people out of their character comfort zone.

I'd have to see exactly how you promote those aspects within the guild to have much more of an opinion, but I see the inclusion of it as a core value as a major bonus.

3. It's something I've actually done for previous guilds myself. One of the main benefits is scheduling. Major events can be announced, carried out, and done so in a way to create the largest impact on the guild (in terms of activity and participation). Another reason, is it allows the guild to build an ongoing history, and one that can even include things like NPC's, all of which is in an easy to archive format.

Disadvantages are twofold: one, is that not everyone enjoys such heavily structured content, so you may see certain members 'opting out'. This could include members that are otherwise important in other functions, which can cause a schism. The other, is that the nature of the scheduling could alienate some members from being part of the 'guild story', which again creates a rift between those members and the rest.

I was in one guild which tried to solve this by having a 'job' structure. Jobs would be posted to the forums, picked up by members, then scheduled with a DM. They'd often relate (as a sort of prequel) to upcoming or just recently past guild storylines. It worked pretty well.

4. I think it's better to be cautious, especially in a MMO where the lore tends to change over time. In terms of the guild storyline, or larger events, there is usually plenty of room to move within the lore while still making things feel as though they have a certain weight or gravity to them. Opposing factions (like with blacksky) is a good way of doing that. Others just take some imagination.

5. Sure. Every case, I think, should be evaluated for its merit, but I have no issues ignoring iffy fan content when necessary in RP. I think it's a skill every long-term rper ends up developing. Especially in an MMO.

06-18-2014, 11:30 PM
1. From what you've read, and seen from BlackSky, what can you as a person bring to the table? What do you hope to gain from being a part of our guild? What does your character bring and gain?

2. Our guild focuses on -retention-, and the long game. We focus on values of patience, Most of us are here not just for WildStar, but to be part of the BlackSky community, what is your perspective?

3. To be active in our guild we ask people to maintain in game and forum participation. Including discussion and roleplay respectively. We also ask members to be patient and proactive in creating / seeking out roleplay opportunities. Why are these important values / ideals?

4. We encourage open minded discussion, acceptance, and in our chats are filled with a variety of topics. We discourage people to make generalist statements about heated topics; we encourage them to not antagonize others? Think about this for a moment. Why do we have this attitude? Why do we care about discussion? But why does word choice in some circumstances, matter?

5. To us a guild cannot function without a strong sense of communication, even just simply have OOC communication. Why is that important?

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
06-19-2014, 01:14 AM
1. Actually, this is a tough one for me. Historically, I try and deeply involve myself in the internal functions of the guild, but this guild seems to run pretty smoothly (from the outside looking in), which in many ways feels like a weight off my mind. I love the idea of trying to benefit the group by being an active member who simply participates in roleplay (structured and not). However, one of the things I could bring to the table, if ever needed, are many of those skills. I just like the idea of not feeling like I 'have' to.

In terms of character, I like to think my characters are decently nuanced. From a simple perspective, Cael brings a good sword-arm, but from the perspective of how she 'enhances' the guild, it's through getting involved and involving others in her and their storylines. The guild, on the other hand, would benefit her in that she's never felt a sense of 'community' with her peers. Her learning (through rp) how to develop in that way is a great opportunity, and directly related to what I hope to accomplish with her.

2. I like the idea of finding a permanent community to belong to, and feel that it's about time for that. My previous experiences have been good, but I've never joined a community, always a game. I like the Blacksky idea, and the communal rp idea, because it can morph and change with the times (as these games we like so much come and go).

3. Because no guild can survive on lip-service and daily logins. This is an issue I'm very familiar with. It's no different from say, a raid guild, that might require presence at raids (to continue raiding) and gear checks, etc. It's only fair to ask the community to get involved. Unfortunately, many don't do this (for whatever reason) which can lead to struggles on behalf of the guild leaders and the community itself.

I've long been a proponent of requiring active participation, regardless of how difficult this can be to impliment.

4. I personally have my own convictions, but that doesn't necessarily make them less relevant than another's. Respect, in some ways, is earned, but showing basic respect by not outright insulting someone for a contrary belief is simply good manners. Alternatively, if a topic rubs someone the wrong way (but isn't heated, or disrespectful) I also think it's up to that person to remove themselves from the discussion, or ignore it. However, if it really does cross the line, they can apply the rules (screenshot, etc) to try and get the problem resolved through proper channels.

5. Because it's not just a collection of people haphazardly playing a game. As I said above, this group has goals that aren't so unlike that of a pve/pvp guild / community. We have the want / desire to collectively enjoy each other's story telling. That takes work, communication, and structure.

06-19-2014, 01:22 AM
Good answers, application approved. PM with information coming your way.

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser