Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Malverine App Codex
07-02-2014, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 02:12 AM by sadronmeldir.)
Codex
About the Player
Main Character Name / Primary Alt Name:
Codex (Exile) / Phaize (Dominion)

Enjin / WildStar Central Username:
I'm not currently active on many community sites, although I'm considering making an enjin account.

Primary Character / Alts Joining the BlackSky:
Codex

IM Contacts:
sadronmeldir (I don't have it on by default but I can hop on as needed)

What is your primary region / timezone and playtimes?
EST

Are you eighteen or older?
I'm 28, though probably a bit younger in spirit!

Did you read and do you agree to abide by our Rules and Policy?
Yep.

Where did you find us and why do we stand out?
I noticed you around the forums and replying with regularity to LFG threads. I also recently had a mate join the gang.

Would you like to join our Guild Skype Group? And or the Guild Mailing List?
I'd be open to either, though I don't anticipate using Skype too often.

Are you a member of any additional guilds, circles, warplots etc?
Nope.

What are your primary playstyles?
I am a moderate PvE player and likewise with RP. I prefer IC to OOC most of the time. I'd be open to raids and dungeons, though I've found the PUG experience to be a frustrating one (who hasn't?)

About Roleplay
What is your roleplaying experience?
About 7 years in City of Heroes and another year in The Old Republic.

What are your primary Roleplay Limits?
Most RP is fine. I'm typically not okay with serious maiming/abusing of a character unless it's in response to my character's actions or if it's OOCly been discussed in advance. I don't really tend towards ERP scenes unless there's character development to be had (otherwise fade to black is fine).

Are you okay with the R rated (content in our guild contains adult language, violent situations, partial nudity, narcotics) nature of our Roleplay?
That's fine.

What do IC Consequences mean to you? Would you be willing to deal with the consequences listed in our lore? Such as humiliation? OR even being beaten within an inch of life or worse?
I'm absolutely in favor of consequences, because by definition it means I've had some control of the events leading up to it, either IC or OOC. I'm less keen on, say, having my character maimed or killed purely as a random show of strength by another character.

Would you be willing to take consequences if your character left the Club or Agency and warranted them?
Makes perfect sense!

About the Character
NOTE: The following information will create the foundation of your IC Interview, and also let us know more about your character. Answers in character and you may use third, or first person. Answer respectively for your chosen Faction.

Why you here? Who you looking for, stranger?
*Chuckles, speaking with a noticeable Cassian accent* Straight to the point then, is it? Well, from what I've heard of you lot, I shouldn't be surprised. Right then...

Let's just say that I'm looking for a new family to replace my old one. I've asked around and while some people might have choice words for your methods or behaviour, they all seem to agree on one thing: you take care of your own. For now, that's enough.

How you'd you hear of the outfit?
Some Hoods were grumbling about you at one of those excuses for a pub that you have in Thayd. Not a single good scotch on the menu...

After that, it was a simple matter of asking around and buying a few choice individuals a few drinks to point me in the right direction.

Didn't get your name stranger, what is it? What class you again?
Jason Caine. Most call me Jace. On the job, I use the alias Codex. I'm a stalker, though I've always found the term a touch offensive.

Fine then. What can you bring to the table? And where we suppose to put you?
I'm a problem solver, and if I do my job right folks will always wonder if I was even involved. Gathering intelligence, spreading rumours or just straight up sabotage... I'll happily assist for the good of my colleagues. Or for the right amount of coin, as the case may be. Bounty hunter, mercenary, spy... I go where I'm needed, really.

What baggage you caring?
Well, I've been told on occasion that my humility is a touch understated. Clearly, those individuals don't appreciate a healthy dose of confidence and self-worth. Ego is only an issue if it is unfounded. Mine isn't.

On, and there is that whole matter of possibly being hunted, but that's just rum or and hearsay at the moment.

Well the, finally, what do you think of the enemy?
I've heard of the Sovereigns more than once in my time. I used to call their work admirable... though recently I've been rethinking a lot of my old take on things.

I can say this, though, of the Dominion: they don't share. They will take and take until there is nothing left to have, be it of you lot over here or even of their own people. There is no negotiation, no compromise. If you're to keep what you've built here, then the only way to keep it is to take the offensive and never, ever give ground!
07-02-2014, 03:45 AM
RE: Codex
1. Please take a moment to review our rules of roleplay / character standard. Then take a moment to consider themes of our two factions (Malverines being a Outlaw Hovercycle Club & The Pinkerton Detective Agency); and consider the roles for each faction versus BlackSky's idea of open-ended roleplay with limitations. Why is important to maintain a strong standard, roleplay themes, and yet allow open-ended characterization?

2. Consider the life your character will encounter in either faction, and the consequences of their actions. How do our guild values such as the Grey Line, the Adult factor, and Table-Top Feeling fit that mindset? Why is it important to the story we are hoping to tell? Especially in Criminal / Corporate or Outlaw Roleplay?

3. Why do you like the themes, and lore of BLackSKy, and the faction you are joining? How do a faction's preceptions add to roleplay such as their preception of history, or the Feud of BrightStar?

4. Our guild can be considered conservative in our lore stance even though we have our own elaborate mythos and guild fanon (as most guilds do). Why is it then important we maintain the limits, and guidelines set down by Carbine? Some details are small, but are important to racial dynamics (Cassian Highborn not having Noble Houses, Mordesh not tasting food without Vitalus), why are these important? And can you ignore people who push limits while remaining in character?

My Characters
Cathal Reily / Human Spellslinger / Malverine Boss
Fahari / Draken Stalker / Sovereign Enforcer

[Image: tumblr_m8xl6hHTwf1qey9xxo1_500.gif]

"The Harbinger is coming, and the Judicator will judge us all!"
-Season 1 teaser
07-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Apologies if these responses are a bit long! Angel

ShadowedSin Wrote:1. Please take a moment to review our rules of roleplay / character standard. Then take a moment to consider themes of our two factions (Malverines being a Outlaw Hovercycle Club & The Pinkerton Detective Agency); and consider the roles for each faction versus BlackSky's idea of open-ended roleplay with limitations. Why is important to maintain a strong standard, roleplay themes, and yet allow open-ended characterization?

A theme is a guild's outward identity. It doesn't matter whether a group is good or evil, large or small... who they are and what they stand for is ultimately more memorable and more unifying than any other facet of a RP group.

Speaking from some experience, it is is rather challenging founding a group on a very themed identity yet still allow for divergent growth and character uniqueness. However the topics covered in your guidelines and outlined in the subsequent questions help the group preserve that identity. As characters grow, players must always be aware that in order to keep the group's theme legitimate, leaders and other players need to be free to react accordingly to any character action. In doing so, you've both allowed for a lot of open-ended characterization, but also allow the factions to preserve their own identity by responding in authenticate and genuine ways.

ShadowedSin Wrote:2. Consider the life your character will encounter in either faction, and the consequences of their actions. How do our guild values such as the Grey Line, the Adult factor, and Table-Top Feeling fit that mindset? Why is it important to the story we are hoping to tell? Especially in Criminal / Corporate or Outlaw Roleplay?

While not impossible, it would be very difficult to actually have groups like a Hovercylce Club or Detective Agency without covering some rougher subjects that go hand in hand with those storylines. They would lack authenticity and quite possibly heart.

These are also very important topics around one of your central themes: IC actions lead to IC consequences. From what I've read, you are fairly liberal with what's allowed in the group provided it's talked out and properly planned. It would be very difficult to really tell the story of an outlaw group with such liberal OOC policies unless the group would be fit to respond realistically. This would often lead to mature themes.

ShadowedSin Wrote:3. Why do you like the themes, and lore of BLackSKy, and the faction you are joining? How do a faction's preceptions add to roleplay such as their preception of history, or the Feud of BrightStar?

The themes fit very well with what I'm looking to get out of a group such as this: mature, drama-free group that plays in a world which may often face conflict (both from outside and within). I'm purposefully throwing a disgraced Highborn because the realizations and character growth that can come from such contrast and adversity appeal greatly to me.

From a lore and roleplay perspective, perception is everything. You've set up a nice lore backdrop where neither side is clear cut as good or evil, but rather shades in between and the same action can be viewed differently. It's a delicate balance, but ultimately leads to more interesting stories.

ShadowedSin Wrote:4. Our guild can be considered conservative in our lore stance even though we have our own elaborate mythos and guild fanon (as most guilds do). Why is it then important we maintain the limits, and guidelines set down by Carbine? Some details are small, but are important to racial dynamics (Cassian Highborn not having Noble Houses, Mordesh not tasting food without Vitalus), why are these important? And can you ignore people who push limits while remaining in character?

I'd like to answer this with a personal anecdote, actually. In City of Heroes, I once rolled a classic character trope of a hero that was sent from the future, wherein one of the games races had been all but destroyed. His backstory went into reasonable amount of detail about how this happened, and in the process I made some assumptions that weren't explicitly spelled out by game lore. It was relatively harmless at the time, but as the game lore deepened, I found some of my assumptions were in stark contrast with what wound up becoming canon.

It's incredibly important to adhere to not only the explicit lore set down by Carbine, but also to an extent those gaps that they've yet to reveal. What may appear little or minor now may become a pivotal plotline later - or at the very least a quirkly side quest. Either way, when we ignore the canon and it comes up later on, it makes it very difficult to reconcile the differences IC.

It is also very important when it comes to random roleplay. If there's no core set of rules to play by, it becomes even trickier to carry on a meaningful conversation when two characters have different fundamental viewpoints on how the world works. In that regard, I do admittedly have some difficulty acknowledging blatant disregard for canon IC. I typically just try to ignore the parts that don't make sense. I may assume ignorance and send the at fault player a whisper, but I would never call someone out publicly.

Towards that end, I admittedly don't know all the canon. A lot of that comes through exposure and practice, and what better place to get that than in a heavy RP group? I always welcome and encourage people reaching out if they feel something I've said contradicts canon.
07-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Our guild loves canon, we devour datacubes like Captain Crunch!

Final, set. Match, begin.

1. Please reread our guild rules and consider the following: BlackSky discourages members from making blunt general statements on issues (political, religious, cultural etc), from bringing up complaints or problems in public, from trolling or antagonizing people. We then encourage a optimistic attitude, helping out guild members, solving issues personally or with the help of a guild officer. Why are these important to a healthy guild? And how do you feel our guild rules approach these factors?

That being said we have rules about respecting triggers, and also about choosing words carefully, why?

2. Our guild values identity, brotherhood, and longevity (retention of membership). We focus on the long game and the long view. In turn we value patience, understanding, and professionalism. Why are all of these aspects important to a strong healthy community?

3. What do you look for in guild Staff (Leaders, Officers, Deputies), and in the community in general? What can both (Staff and members) do to maintain a strong healthy community? Now, what can you as do, or bring to the table?

4. We ask members to participate in-game, and on our forums in OOC discussion and active roleplay. This includes members acting as pro-active pillars of roleplay, and taking their own stories back into the guild to enrich it and everyone in it. Why is important then to be pro-active on our website, and in-game equally?

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser
07-02-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm more of a Lucky Charms guy... could eat that 3 square meals a day. You know, if my fiancee would let me!

ShadowedSin Wrote:1. Please reread our guild rules and consider the following: BlackSky discourages members from making blunt general statements on issues (political, religious, cultural etc), from bringing up complaints or problems in public, from trolling or antagonizing people. We then encourage a optimistic attitude, helping out guild members, solving issues personally or with the help of a guild officer. Why are these important to a healthy guild? And how do you feel our guild rules approach these factors?

That being said we have rules about respecting triggers, and also about choosing words carefully, why?

One of my favorite parts of an MMO community is the sheer diversity of opinions and beliefs. When someone makes blunt, generalized statements about any topic, there's always the risk that another person will feel differently. The more sweeping the generalization, the more likely you are to lump a fellow player into that pool without even realizing it. It's therefore always important to - and I know it's cliche - think before you talk. Consider other viewpoints and be careful how you phrase things.

I was once told that only 10% of how we perceive a comment comes from the actual words said (the rest coming from tone and body language). I'm not sure how accurate that statistic is, but it does drive home the fact that words need to be chosen especially carefully in any sort of online community, because that is literally all one has to go off of in a text-only conversation.

I spent five years as one of the founders and leaders in a guild in City of Heroes and having guild members first try to handle things themselves was paramount. It is always better when two individuals come to an understanding on their own. It shows maturity in all members involved and saves the officers the messy task of arbitration. If an officer is needed, it's always best to discuss things privately.

ShadowedSin Wrote:2. Our guild values identity, brotherhood, and longevity (retention of membership). We focus on the long game and the long view. In turn we value patience, understanding, and professionalism. Why are all of these aspects important to a strong healthy community?

I would rather join a small guild of 15, loyal members that played often than a group of a hundred any day. One of the whole points of an RP group is consistency and a definable identity which only comes from a strong community. The last group I was in, I was in for five years. The last two years I've not joined any groups in spite of offers primarily due to personal reasons. I had taken a new job, was planning a wedding and so forth. I didn't want to apply to any group until I knew I once again had the time and stability to put into a group the level of commitment it deserves.

ShadowedSin Wrote:3. What do you look for in guild Staff (Leaders, Officers, Deputies), and in the community in general? What can both (Staff and members) do to maintain a strong healthy community? Now, what can you as do, or bring to the table?

Honestly? I expect very little outside of the running of community hubs, be it the forums, chat channels or bases. If staff and community members provide ongoing RP stories or events, that's great but it's no a requirement. We're all players first, and I really don't want to put any sort of expectation out there other than to be an inclusive, fun group for roleplay and other shenanigans in game.

As for what I bring to the table, it's pretty much the same as to what I expect. I love to roleplay and I'm happy to participate in any member's storylines or in-game play. I'm also happy to grind out influence if we need it for a base upgrade or offer crafting services free of charge.

ShadowedSin Wrote:4. We ask members to participate in-game, and on our forums in OOC discussion and active roleplay. This includes members acting as pro-active pillars of roleplay, and taking their own stories back into the guild to enrich it and everyone in it. Why is important then to be pro-active on our website, and in-game equally?

I've been in guilds where some players expect leaders to provide roleplay for their members and get frustrated when new storylines don't come out fast enough. Having a community to play with is great, but I've always felt that it's up to each player to be proactive and find their own fun. We're all here to play... this isn't anyone's job, after all!

If there's RP already going on, I'm happy to participate. If not, I'm just as happy to make my own either with the group or with a random motley crew of whomever happens to be in Thayd at the moment. Either way, I'm always happy to bring it back to the guild and include anyone who wants to the participate. There will be some times I will log on and want to do my own thing, but in those cases it's usually because I know I could be pulled away at a moment's notice and don't want to get invested in RP and run the risk of having to hop off fast mid-conversation.

I'm an avid forum user and will of course continue to be. With regards to my participation in long-hand story threads on the website, it's been ages since I've tried that and I'm not the best writer, but I would certainly make an effort.
07-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Well said, approved for the next stage!

My Characters

-Season 1 teaser